If' you're looking for a thoughtful movie that isn't light on the masculinity, then you need to know about the ten best documentaries for guys. These movies tell some of the manliest stories that have ever been recorded on film. You're not going to find any heartfelt weeping marathons here, just pure, unadulterated manliness. Grab your buddies and a six-pack, because here are some of the best documentaries for guys ever produced.
- "Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson" (2008). This stunning film, narrated by Johnny Depp, goes through the life, work, and eventual death of Hunter Thompson, the man behind such great works as "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." The juxtaposition of stunning narrative and old footage from the brilliant author's own personal life makes this one of the best documentary films for guys.
- "Anvil, The Story of Anvil" (2009). If it's every young boy's dream to start a rock band, then this documentary for guys is the more realistic version of what could happen if it failed. This movie tells the story of Anvil, a Canadian metal band who started out like Bon Jovi and Guns N' Roses, but never realized the same amount of fame. This trip through the lives and eventual reunion of the band members is equal parts enthralling and heart breaking.
- "Super Size Me" (2004). Everyone loves fast food, but what if that obsession is taken one step further? This chronicle of Morgan Spurlock's spending an entire month eating nothing but food from McDonald's is as enlightening as it is repulsive. Watching his body steadily deteriorate is one of the most powerful images in cinema today, making this one of the best documentaries for guys ever made.
- "Grizzly Man" (2005). This chilling documentary tells the tale of activist Timothy Treadwell, whose love for nature drove him to spend thirteen summers living amongst the bears in the Alaskan wilderness. The eventual mauling of him and his girlfriend at the hands of these beasts gives the entire documentary an overall macabre tone, since you know it's eventual going to happen, despite his optimistic tone.
- "Kurt Cobain: About a Son" (2006). A must-see for any music fan, this documentary is particularly powerful because it contains no actual footage of the late Nirvana singer himself. Instead, it takes audio from interviews with him and other people connected to him and shows them amongst scenes of various locations that were significant to his development.
- "Murderball" (2005). A thrilling story of perseverance about the U.S. quad rugby team's preparation for the 2004 Paralympic Games, this is simply one of the best documentaries for guys for its ability to get the blood pumping no matter what the situation. Despite the subjects' disabled state's, this movie refuses to allow the audience to feel bad for them by portraying them as some of the toughest bad-asses to date.
- "Crumb" (1994). Easily one of the bleakest documentaries on this list, "Crumb" tells the story of Robert Crumb, the cartoonist responsible for such iconic characters like Fritz the Cat. The frankness with which is handles his bleak upbringing and his adult life has garnered the film with widespread acclaim, making it one of the best documentaries for guys ever made.
- "Gates of Heaven" (1980). One of the more bizarre documentaries for guys on this list, this film paints a portrait of the pet cemetery business. From showcasing the daily life of a business owner to the dealings with mourning families, this movie is both captivating as it is a little frightening.
- "Overnight" (2003). One of the easiest ways to shatter the image of "The Boondock Saints," which many people belive to be the archetypical guy movie, is to make a documentary about its director Troy Duffy. This film is amazing in the sense that you spend the entire time wondering how such an utter tool could have made such a brilliant movie.
- "Gimme Shelter" (1970). One of the best documentaries for guys happens to portray one of the greatest rock bands of all time. This chronicle of their 1969 US tour is one of the most gripping and realistic rock and roll experience we've seen on film to date.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.