You can barely form a sentence when you're drunk, so let these 10 best drinking song lyrics speak for you. These drinking song lyrics pay tribute to beer, vodka, lager, whiskey and more of the finer things in life. People have been singing traditional drinking songs for centuries. These are modern pop, rock and rap updates to those same sentiments.
- “Well a person can work up a mean mean thirst after a hard day of nothin' much at all.” The Replacements, a rowdy rock&roll outfit from Minneapolis, were known for either putting on fantastic drunken performances or awful drunken performances. This lyric, from their song “Here Comes A Regular,” speaks for everybody who drinks to cure the boredom of life.
- “There’s an old man sitting next to me making love to his tonic and gin.” Billy Joel’s signature song is not only one of the most-played songs in pop history, it’s got one of the best drinking song lyrics. Sure, it’s sort of pathetic, but some people really like their alcohol, and this old man’s hot over his.
- “He drinks a whiskey drink, he drinks a vodka, he drinks a lager drink, he drinks a cider drink.” Anarchist punks turned late 90s pop stars Chumbawamba wrote one of the best drinking song lyrics in “Tumbthumping.” Of course he gets knocked down, but he gets up again.
- “Into these last nine beers, I have shed a million tears.” Hank Williams Jr. continues the country tradition of finding solace in a bottle of beer with these lyrics from “There’s a Tear In My Beer.” And he sings “last nine beers,” meaning he had some before that. He must have really loved this girl.
- “It's seven o'clock and I want to rock / Want to get a belly full of beer.” Before the release of his classic album, “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” Elton John was known for being a balladeer. That all changed with the rock & roll sound and drinking song lyrics of songs like “Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting.”
- “Its ironic, I had the brew, she had the chronic. The Lakers Beat the Super Sonics.” Drinking song lyrics don‘t have to describe a wild party or some woe-is-me situation. Sometimes a drink is just a drink. That‘s the case in Ice Cube‘s “It Was A Good Day,” the gangsta rapper casually rapping about drinking and NBA games.
- “Raise your glass to the good and the evil / Let’s drink to the salt of the earth.” The working class like to drink and listen to rock & roll, and The Rolling Stones honored a good deal of their fan base with drinking song lyrics like those from “Salt of the Earth” on their classic album “Beggar’s Banquet.”
- “Tequila.” The Champs’ 1958 single “Tequila” has some of the most relevant lyrics for a song about drinking. The band sings nothing but “Tequila” three times over a keyboard and sax arrangement. It’s so easy, any drunk can sing along.
- “Blame it on the alcohol.” Comedian/actor-turned pop star Jamie Foxx speaks for everyone who’s ever made a stupid drunken mistake with the chorus lyrics to “Blame it On the Alcohol.”
- "Wine is fine, but whiskey's quicker." Ozzy Osbourne has had a few drinks in his lifetime, so he knows a thing or two about drinking song lyrics. The Dark One sings these lyrics in the controversial “Suicide Solution.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …