If you love music and love stories, you should check out the 10 best duet acting scenes. While the movies not always romantic in nature, some of the strongest cinematic duets in history certainly are. Whether or not a duet that has a lot going on between the lines, these scenes capture the imagination and are a feast for the ears, too.
- "Grease"- "You're the One That I Want" is the expression of passionate, young love in the movie "Grease." It's the love song that teenage couple Danny and Sandy (played to perfection by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John) sing to one another after making themselves over to better fit into one another's worlds. Travolta and Newton-John have such a strong chemistry that only enhances their loving performances in this scene.
- "Rent"- "Light My Candle" is a powerful duet from the film version of "Rent." It's sung by Rosario Dawson (who plays Mimi) and Adam Pascal (who plays Roger), and it is at an important part in the story. The poignant song will probably be one that sticks with you.
- "The Phantom of the Opera"- The Andrew Lloyd Webber play was expertly adapted to film in 2004. The mesmerizing duet by Christine and Raoul in "All I Ask of You" is well-directed, and the performances are strong. The ambiance throughout the film manages to capture what was originally written for the Broadway film.
- "Moulin Rouge"- "Come What May" is the love theme from "Moulin Rouge." Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor give earnest, heartfelt, and memorable performances. The scene is both somber and sweet. The musical was celebrated for its creative use of already popular songs of various genres and its high energy. This scene grounds the film and clarifies the strong love story between the two leads.
- "Annie"- "I Don't Need Anything But You" is an exuberant song of father-daughter love. It's from the 1982 film version of the musical "Annie." Annie and Daddy Warbucks celebrate that they have found each other and the innocent love they share in this fun tune. The performances of Aileen Quinn and Albert Finney make the song and dance scene unforgettable.
- "Meet Me in St. Louis"- Screen legends Judy Garland and Margaret O'Brien perform a winning duet with "Under the Bamboo Tree." The duet performance is from the cinematic classic "Meet Me in St. Louis." Margaret O'Brien plays the baby sister Tootie to Judy Garland's Esther. This song is performed to guests at the party, and the two really do seem to be loving sisters, as Judy's performance tenderly looks out for Margaret's dancing.
- "Xanadu"- Gene Kelly and Olivia Newton-John create pure movie magic with "Whenever You're Away From Me." The duet scene is from "Xanadu." It features their characters of Kira, a muse who has come to earth, and musician Danny tap dancing and singing together. Newton-John took tap dancing lessons to prepare for the scene, and the natural affinity and mutual respect between the characters is clear, as is the faraway love that Danny has lost.
- "Xanadu"-"0 Suddenly" is another strong duet from the movie "Xanadu." The duet is unique, in that it features the vocals of Olivia Newton-John and Cliff Richard against the backdrop of a fantasy roller skating scene. While the movie is definitely 1980s fun to its core, the soundtrack has been a smash hit for decades.
- "Hairspray"-The reprise of "Big, Blonde, and Beautiful" is a duet scene performed by Michelle Pfeiffer and John Travolta. In the scene from the 2007 musical film version of "Hairspray," Travolta is dressed as the female character of Edna. It's an ultimately touching, yet fun, duet with strong acting and singing.
- "The Wilde Girls"- "You Loved Me Into It" is a duet between two characters, a mother and daughter, who have finally come to understand one another. Del Shores directs a winning duet scene between real-life mother and daughter, Olivia Newton-John and Chloe Lattanzi, in "The Wilde Girls." Both Newton-John and Lattanzi show off their beautiful and very different vocal styles, and their mutual admiration is evident in the performances given in this tender scene.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Online Gaming
Get into FPSs and MOBAs without getting your ass kicked… too much.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.