You don’t have to be down in the dumps to want to listen to the 10 best English sad songs. Sad songs are beautiful and moving, telling tales of loss and heartache, and often helping people get through rough periods in their lives. Some of the best English sad songs are about lost loves and dissolving relationships. Give a listen and see if you don’t agree with these being some of the most powerful sad songs ever.
- “The Freshmen” by The Verve Pipe. One of the best English sad songs is the guilt-wracked tune, “The Freshman.” About two young kids who find themselves expecting a baby, this is a song about abortion, failure to accept blame and the horrible crush of reality, when it rears its ugly head.
- “Goodbye My Lover” by James Blunt. Heartbreaking and powerful, “Goodbye My Lover” is one of the best English sad songs about the ache that follows when lovers part ways. The lyrics in this one are particularly moving, especially at the very end.
- “Iris” by The Goo Goo Dolls. With so many people hiding their identity on the Internet, this is one of the best English sad songs that Internet users can relate to. It’s about a person with a secret identity, who eventually finds the love of his life. But how to tell them, when his life is built upon this lie? Can he tell his love that the person he really is, is someone other than they think? Will their love survive?
- “One” by U2. Irish-born singer Bono lends his keening voice to this soft love ballad. Some of the best English sad songs can be about beautiful things and “One” is a perfect example of this.
- “Colorblind” by Counting Crows. A beautiful piano, coupled with the haunted quality of Adam Duritz’s keening voice, creates one of the best English sad songs ever. “I am covered in skin. No one gets to come in. Pull me out from inside. I am folded and unfolded and unfolding, I am colorblind.”
- “Lips of an Angel” by Hinder. One of the best English sad songs about longing and forbidden love would have to be Hinder’s big hit, “Lips of an Angel.” A phone call stirs memories about an ex-girlfriend and the love they once shared, while the singer’s current girlfriend is in the next room.
- “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” by Gordon Lightfoot. If you’re looking for the best English sad songs about real events, “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” is a powerfully moving song about a ship that starts taking on water and eventually sinks in Lake Superior. This one’s a tear-jerker for anyone who enjoys folk songs.
- “How To Save a Life” by The Fray. One of the best English sad songs about losing a friend is “How To Save a Life” by The Fray. A beautiful piano sets the backdrop for this tender song about trying to talk through one’s problems.
- “What Hurts the Most” by Rascal Flatts. Breaking up is horrible, especially when one person still wants to try to work on the relationship. “What Hurts the Most” is one of the best English sad songs about wanting to fix things, but having to just stand there and watch the person you love, go walking out of your life.
- “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion. One of the best English sad songs from a movie soundtrack has to be Celine Dion’s powerful ballad, “My Heart Will Go On,” from the movie “Titanic.” Gripping and heart-wrenching, this song continues to bring on the tears even years after its release.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.