10 Best European Soccer Players
Over 50 nations in Europe have professional soccer leagues so finding the 10 best European soccer players is no easy task. Comparing the skills of goal keepers with strikers, and midfielders with defenders makes things harder but ultimately the cream rises to the top.
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid). The Portuguese super star left England after dazzling in the premier league for years and is now making a big splash in La Liga. He often courts controversy on the pitch for diving and off the pitch for dating but his mazy runs and free kicks mean he is one of the best European players ever.
- David Villa (Barcelona). It surprised many that Villa stayed at Valencia for so many years when clubs all over the continent were throwing money at him. David has been a goal machine for club and country and helped Spain win the 2010 World Cup. Barcelona believes he is one of the best players in Europe because they paid a fortune for him in August 2010.
- Iker Casillas(Real Madrid). The Spanish goal keeper burst onto the soccer scene at a young age but has become a regular for club and country with breathtaking displays. Casillas may be fairly short for a goalie but because he is one of the best European players you would never know it to watch him play.
- Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid). Defender Sergio Ramos may believe that 80's Bon Jovi hairstyles are still in fashion but when it comes to soccer he is definitely up to speed. The high energy Spaniard proves his worth at the back and when he joins the attack.
- Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich). The last time a Muller wore the fourteen shirt for Germany he was an established star, so Thomas took a risk by wearing that shirt in 2010. It paid off though and with five goals at the World Cup, he established himself as one of the best European players.
- Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal). One of the few Spanish stars to play overseas, Cesc has resisted the lure of Barcelona and continues to star for Arsenal in the Premier League. The skillful midfielder can dribble, pass and even shoot. No one in England doubts his credentials.
- Robin Van Persie (Arsenal). It helps having team mates like Fabregas but Van Persie is a world class striker. The European soccer star has been troubled by injuries but when he is fit he is unstoppable.
- Wayne Rooney (Man Utd). Wayne started his career at Everton but felt out with the coach and joined the equally large Man Utd. The England star spends too much time on the front pages of tabloids because of personal issues but when he is on the back pages everyone sees his top 10 credentials.
- Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich). The French star with the Frankenstain looks helped cause a World Cup revolt and is facing problems with the law in France but on the field he is one of the best Euopean soccer players of his generation. Ribery combines lightning speed with amazing skill and terrifies defenders all over the continent.
- Andres Iniesta (Barcelona). When you have a knack of scoring match winning goals in big games you get noticed and in Andres case the attention is well deserved. The Spaniard is only one of the best European soccer players he is arguably the best midfielder in the world.