For North American families who enjoy ski trips, below are some of the 10 best family ski resorts in the United States. This lists includes some of the most popular slopes from Maine to California.
- Sugarloaf. Located just over two hours from Bangor, Maine; Sugarloaf is one of the state's most popular family ski destinations. This massive mountain is the state's second highest peak at over 4,200 feet. In addition to offering ski lessons and tubing for kids, Sugarloaf features an outdoor center that offers cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and an NHL sized skating rink.
- Smugglers Notch. Rated the number one ski resort for family programs by SKI Magazine, this Vermont resort offers some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the east. Additional activities include snowshoeing, cross country skiing, snowmobile tours and a family recreation and entertainment area.
- Okemo. Sticking with the Green Mountain State, Okemo offers free skiing for children six and under; and kids under twelve receive free lodging. The resort also offers two daycare centers, deluxe condominium accommodations, and was named as the number one snow resort for families by Parent Magazine.
- Snowshoe. Located in the beautiful mountains of West Virginia, Snowshoe is the largest ski resort in the Southeast. In addition to offering snowboarding and skiing for all levels, the resort offers daycare for children between the ages of three and twelve. Snowshoe also boasts a plethora of family oriented restaurants and top of the line lodging.
- Beech Mountain. Beech Mountain in Boone, North Carolina has he highest elevation of any ski area on the east coast. In addition to offering skiing, snowboarding, and tubing, Beach Mountain offers a youth learning center that is dedicated to teaching children ages 4-13 the basics of skiing and snowboarding. Beech Mountain also features a popular alpine village at the base of the mountain.
- Steamboat Springs. One of the more popular resorts in Colorado, Steamboat recently spent $23 million on improvements over the past two seasons, which has made the resort one of the best family ski resorts in the United States. The money was used to upgrade the food courts, snow making capacity, and to install two additional high speed chair lifts.
- Solitude Ski Resort. Located just 28 miles from Salt Lake City, this popular family resort not only possesses some of the best skiing in the west, but offers fine dining and first class accommodations as well. The Yurt is one of the most popular places to dine as it offers one of the most unique resort dining experiences as families snowshoe or cross country ski through a lantern lit forest to dine at a Mongolian Yurt.
- Sun Valley. In addition to offering fantastic skiing and snowboarding, this Idaho ski resort features a bowling alley and game room that is second to none. One of the Northwest's oldest bowling alleys, it consists of six lanes, a pool table, video games, and a snack bar. Additionally, families flock to Sun Valley because it offers some of the best cross country skiing in the United States.
- Heavenly. No other ski resort offers views that are as breathtakingly beautiful as what Heavenly has to offer. Located in Lake Tahoe, Heavenly Ski Resort overlooks the lake. In addition to being amazed by the beautiful scenery, families can enjoy skiing the bevy of trails that accommodate all skill levels. Heavenly also offers plenty of fantastic dining and shopping options.
- Big Bear Lake. Considered California's premier ski destination, Big Bear Lake Ski Resort offers fun for the whole family. Best of all, Big Bear Lake provides discounted ski packages. However, what makes this California mountain one of the best family ski resorts is that it is located in a small town without the big city distractions. In fact, most of the lodging, restaurants, and shops in the town are independently owned.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …