10 Best Fat Actresses
If you like talented actresses with a little more meat on their bones, here are the 10 best fat actresses. In an age where actresses are absurdly skinny, it's refreshing to compile a list of these talented women.
- Lainie Kazan. This gorgeous songstress (now 70 years old) was featured in a 1970 issue of Playboy before she became portly. But she still has a lovely voice and impressive acting ability often displayed in films and on television to this day.
- Shelley Winters. Before passing away at age eighty-five in 2006, this beautiful gal (known to many younger fans as the lovable “Nana Mary” in television’s “Roseanne”) garnered two Academy Awards in her lifetime. But being dedicated to her art, she ballooned up to play a meaty role in 1972’s “The Poseidon Adventure.” And though such commitment caused her to win the second of her two Oscars, she kept not just the coveted statuette but also the weight she gained.
- Wendie Jo Sperber. This is an actress who has managed to become a readily recognizable face attached to a woman whose name isn’t as well known. She showcased her talents in singing, dancing, comedy and acting while entertaining millions in films such as “Back to the Future,” “1941” and the cult favorite “I Wanna Hold Your Hand.”
- Kathy Najimy. Known currently for her voiceover efforts (as in TV’s “King of the Hill” and the animated blockbuster “WALL-E”), this actress has been constantly on target throughout her career in comedic supporting roles, most notably showcased in “Sister Act.”
- America Ferrera. Known best as ABC’s “Ugly Betty,” in real life this actress is anything but ugly. Instead she is a gorgeous and talented young actress who starred also (not ironically) in the 2002 release “Real Women Have Curves," which caused the narrow-minded to redefine the term “fat.”
- Jennifer Hudson. Though considered by many to be a fat actress at the time she won an Oscar for “Dreamgirls,” this young woman has lost a large amount of weight while performing over the past few years.
- Oprah Winfrey. This television talk show icon has never made a secret of her constant battle with weight over the years. However, since her brilliant turn in “The Color Purple,” most with an eye for talent agree that her cinematic gifts dwarf her physical bulk overall.
- Camryn Manheim. This gorgeous, award-winning actress wisely did photo shoots for posters displayed in the front windows of full-figured stores all over the world, while consistently turning heads with her beauty. Today she remains just as beautiful and thankfully employed on a regular basis in films and television shows of substance.
- Conchatta Ferrell. Most would guess this woman to weigh in at the very least 100 pounds overweight, qualifying her as a fat actress. But her work in the hit television show “Two and a Half Men” proves her talent as an actress, regardless of weight.
- Ann-Margret. To the older generations, the inclusion of the lovely Ms. Ann-Margret as fat is blasphemy. But in this age where underweight pseudo-celebrities such as Paris Hilton are considered hot, Ann-Margret should be considered. Ann-Margret at the age of 69, appeared on NBC's “Law and Order: Special Victim’s Unit” while proudly displaying curves.
Posted on: Sep. 18, 2010