The 10 best female pop artists ever is a pretty big order. There are so many insanely talented women out there who left an indelible mark on music, over the years.
- Janet Jackson (Miss Jackson if you're nasty). May as well start off with a bang. Janet got her start when she was just 16 years old, signing with A&M records. She'd already been performing for years, first on the Jackson family variety show, and then on "Good Times" and "Fame." She gives riveting performance, frankly rivaling brother Michael.
- Madonna. A lot of people didn't take her seriously when she first came onto the scene. Everything about her seemed to be a grab for attention, and frankly, her voice didn't seem to be all that. Yet she is on the top ten list of all-time musical performers for sales. She was a trailblazer for many artists, including Britney Spears and Lady Gaga.
- Mariah Carey. Who could ignore that range! Maria's main claim to fame is being the first recording artist ever to have her first five releases go to #1. She was only 20 at the time. "Vision of Love" topped the charts for four weeks straight. When you think best female pop artist ever, it's that kind of arrival on the music scene that puts Mariah front-and-center on the list.
- Annie Lennox (The Eurythmics). Annie started her career with the Eurythmics in 1980, but went on to rack up an incredible array of hits, including "Why" and "(Walking on) Broken Glass." In 2004, she won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for her song "Into the West" from "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King." Rolling Stone named her one of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time.
- Britney Spears. Easily tops the short list for best female pop singers ever. Her debut album released in 1999 when she was only 18 years of age. She has sold over 100,000,000 records worldwide, and even when her life was essentially falling to pieces around her, she was topping the charts.
- Cher. She started her career as half of the married singing/comedy act, Sonny & Cher. They were most well-known for "I Got You, Babe", but it was her solo career that made her a household name.
- Beyoncé. As lead singer of Destiny's Child, Beyoncé began her rise to fame. DC was one of the best-selling "girl groups" of all time. When they were on hiatus in 2003, Beyoncé released her debut solo album, "Dangerously in Love." Destiny's Child disbanded in 2005 and Beyonce went on to become one of the best female pop artists ever. She is yet another to become so well-known that her first name stands alone.
- Diana Ross (& the Supremes). Diana left the Supremes in 1970, and was already a huge star. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" became an international hit. She went on to act in movies, on television and on Broadway, all the while creating hit after hit. She was, and is, an amazingly talented woman.
- Whitney Houston. She released her self-named debut album at age 22. Her second album, Whitney, became the first solo album by a female artist to debut in the #1 spot on Billboard. "I Will Always Love You" is the best-selling single by a female artist in music history.
- Christina Aguilera. Christina is a major musical force to be reckoned with. Her voice is huge, and she can play it like an instrument. Her hit composition, "Beautiful" has become an anthem for self-acceptance and empowerment.
When you consider how many women have performed in the pop music field over the years, it's incredibly difficult to stop after just ten best female pop artists ever. The above qualify as the cream of the crop.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.