In the hip-hop world, men still dominate, however here is a list of the 10 best female rappers of all time who have held their own. Though the ratio of femcee’s to emcee’s is still proportionally the same, these 10 best female rappers or femcees have made a profound contribution to hip hop.
- Lauryn Hill – As one-third of the Fugees, Ms. Hill claimed her throne in the 90’s and has maintained it alongside picking up five Grammy awards for her solo debut, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill", which will go down in history as one of the best hip-hop and R&B albums ever released. Though she only released one solo album her lyric skills as a solo artist and her work with the Fugees has cemented her as the best female rapper to ever touch the mic.
- MC Lyte – Lyte’s appearance in the late 80’s gave a new meaning to femcee’s, giving them credibility over sensuality. With songs like “10% Diss” showcasing great wordplay, smooth flow and amazing delivery she could easily compete with the male rappers and over two decades later and no other female rapper has come as close.
- Eve – Eve can quite easily be accredited for taking female rappers into the mainstream with tracks like “Let Me Blow Your Mind” featuring Gwen Stefani and “Gangsta Lovin” featuring Alicia Keys. Starting out rough with the Ruff Ryders then spawning to create a name for herself, the first lady of the Ruff Ryders proved she can hang with the big boys with smooth delivery and hard biting lyrics.
- Queen Latifah – A list like this would be incomplete without The Queen in the top 10, the Cover Girl spokesperson demanded respected with songs like the Grammy Award winning song “U.N.I.T.Y”. “All Hail The Queen” cemented Latifah as one of the best female rappers of all time and is considered one of the best hip hop albums period.
- Missy Elliot – Simply one of the most versatile and innovative rappers, Missy not only raps but she also sings, writes and produces, not just her songs but for other people making the most successful female rappers. The multi-talented rappers position was cemented with her debut album “Supa Dupa Fly”, adding a twist to rap.
- Lil' Kim – Kim made an impact debuting in 1996 with “Hard Core”, bringing sex to the rap world. With Libidinous and profane lyrics and coming up under the realm of late Notorious B.I.G Kim proved she could spit attainting double platinum status for her debut album.
- Nicki Minaj – The newcomer on the list is on her way to claim the number one title as the best female rapper of all time. With great metaphoric lyrics and a hard flow she is closing in that gap between male and female rappers. Though she has had more of an advantage than any of the other female rappers on this list coming debuting in an era of mainstream rap, there is no denying this girl is hot, stylish and can spit on the mic.
- Foxy Brown – If Lil Kim is on the list then Foxy Brown is not far behind, contributing to the sexual revolution of hip hop in the 90’s. Raunchy lyrics mixed with street cred, gave credibility to this female rapper making songs like Jay-Z “Ain’t No N***a” hits along with great success with her own albums.
- Da Brat – As the first female rapper to achieve platinum status, Da Brat exploded onto the rap scene in 1992 with the intent to make a statement and she surely did. Discovered by Jermaine Dupri, Da Brat conveyed dashing delivery and a flow faster than most female rappers out there.
- Rah Digga – One of the hardest lyricists on this list, Digga made a name for herself with her debut “Dirty Harriet”. As a member of the Flipmode Squad the prominent and skilled female rapper has made her stamp in the female rap world.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."