The 10 best female R&B artists 2010 received a lot of attention thanks to the Grammy Awards and a number of head-turning performances. Many of the women are veterans doing what they have always done, but some are newcomers to the business. Whether the artists are old-timers branching out into other areas or newcomers releasing their first efforts, these female R&B artists all set the world on fire in 2010.
- Alicia Keys – Alicia Keys created her sound by mixing R&B with soul and remains one of the best female R&B artists in 2010. Her 2009 album, “The Element of Freedom,” was her first to not hit No. 1 on the Billboard charts, but her duet with Jay-Z for “Empire State of Mind” hit No. 1 on the singles charts.
- Rihanna – Rihanna turned heads when she appeared in the Eminem video for “Love the Way You Lie.” The video, starring Dominick Monaghan and Meagan Fox, displayed the domestic violence she became known for with her ex Chris Brown. That song helped propel Rihanna back into the spotlight as one of the best female R&B artists in 2010.
- Ciara – Ciara spent 2010 touring as well as working on her fourth album, “Basic Instinct.” She has come off winning awards, including Billboard’s “Woman of the Year,” in 2008 and winning a Grammy for “Love Sex Magic.” “Basic Instinct” is released in November 2010.
- Beyonce – Beyonce worked in 2010 on both her musical career as one of the best female R&B artists in 2010 as well as a new career in Hollywood as an actress. The year 2010 started big for Beyonce, as she received ten nominations at the Grammy Awards and won six.
- Mary J. Blige – Mary J. Blige has done a lot in 2010. She appeared as a guest judge on “American Idol” and released her new album “Stronger with Each Tear.” She also won Outstanding Female Artist at the NAACP Image Awards, cementing her spot as one of the best female R&B artists in 2010.
- Melanie Fiona – Melanie Fione started off 2010 with a Grammy nomination for Best Female R&B Performance for her 2009 debut album, “The Bridge.” She also performed in 2010's “We Are the World 25 for Haiti” and toured with Alicia Keys as one of the best female R&B artists in 2010.
- Monica – The making of Monica’s album, “Still Standing,” was the subject of a BET series. When the album hit stores, it hit No. 2 on the Billboard charts. Her song “Everything to Me” stayed at No. 1 on the R&B charts for seven weeks, making Monica one of the best female R&B artists in 2010.
- Faith Evans – Faith Evans signed with E1 Entertainment in 2010 and is working on a reality series based on her life and the recording of her new album, “Something About Faith.” She released her single “Gone Already” in July 2010 and returned as one of the best female R&B artists in 2010.
- Jazmine Sullivan – Jazmine Sullvian reached great popularity in 2008 with her debut album “Fearless.” She spent much of 2009 touring and working with other performers, including Jadakiss and Maxwell. The first single from her second album, “Holding You Down (Goin’ in Circles)” reached No. 3 on the charts, making Sullivan one of the best female R&B artists in 2010.
- Nicki Minaj – Nicki Minaj hit it big in 2010 with the anticipation for her debut album “Pink Friday.” Her early mix tapes got national coverage and her first single from “Pink Friday” hit No. 1 on the rap charts. While never having released a full-length album before 2010, Minaj is one of the best female R&B artists in 2010 anyway.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.