10 Best Female Rock Artists 2010
There needs to be a lot of thought put into creating a list of the ten best female rock artists 2010. An industry primarily dominated by men, female rock vocalists need to work extra hard to make it in such a testosterone driven industry. However, below are ten females who do just that. Some you may have heard of, others you may need to look up; however, all are talented and successful.
- Pink While many may consider Pink more of a pop artist, this female sensation earned a Grammy in 2003 for her single, "Trouble." Pink has also sold over 30 million albums worldwide and was recently named as the 37th most famous celebrity by "Forbes Magazine."
- Gwen Stefani This beautiful female rock star is the lead singer for the popular band No Doubt. However, Stefani has also had success as a solo artist as her hit single "Hollaback Girl" was one of the 2005's most popular digital downloads.
- Sheryl Crow Not only has Sheryl Crow had a very successful career as a solo female rock artist, she also performed with iconic bands such as the Rolling Stones and Sting, as well as with popular solo artists Michael Jackson and Eric Clapton.
- Maja Ivarsson The lead singer for the Swedish band The Sounds, this bisexual rock artist is as talented as she is beautiful. Her band has been very active on the touring circuit as The Sounds have played in Portugal, Finland and the United States, where she opened up for No Doubt in 2009.
- PJ Harvey Named as the best new artist in 1992 and 1995's artist of the year by Rolling Stone Magazine, Harvey has had a very successful solo career as a female rock artist. Her new album, "Let England Shake," is rumored to be released sometime in early 2011.
- Kim Gordon Born in Rochester, New York, this female rock artist plays guitar and bass in the alternative rock band, Sonic Youth. The talented Gordon has also performed with popular artists, such as Courtney Love, DJ Olive and Lydia Lunch.
- Hayley Williams Hayley Williams is the lead singer for the group Paramore, a Punk band from Franklin, Tennessee. In addition to writing and recording the song "Teenagers," which was part of the soundtrack for the film "Jennifer's Body," this beautiful female rocker finished first in the 2008 and 2009 Kerrang readers' pole for the sexiest female.
- Basia Lyjak This female Canadian rocker is starting to make a name for herself with the release of singles "Writings on the Wall," "Don't Talk," "What it Feels Like," and "Never Wanted Anything." One of the top up-and-coming female rock artists, her releases have been nominated to several GarageBand.com awards. It wont be long before this lovely brunette becomes a household name.
- Patrizia Another rising star among Canada's female rock artists, Patrizia is considered by many as Canada's next sensation. Joe Chishom of Indiecan called her the female version of Freddy Mercury.
- Courtney Love Courtney Love is probably best known for being married to the late Kurt Cobain and her well publicized drug addictions; however, she is also known for being the lead singer for the female alternative rock group, Hole. Additionally, Love starred alongside Woody Harrelson in "The People vs Larry Flint," where she received good reviews for her role as Larry Flint's wife. After the band broke up in 2003, "Hole" is back together (with a few new members) and Love is again the lead singer.