The 10 best female rock bands ever are diverse groups of women, hailing from various locations and musical decades. Not until the 1970s did we see signs of all-female rock groups. Women had fronted rock bands back in the 60s, but never had we known what it was like to see females slap a bass, pound the drums or scream lyrics at the crowd.
- The Runaways Probably the most famous female rock band ever, The Runaways churned out chart-topping songs. Some members would go on to be some of the most influential musicians in female rock history. Cherie Currie, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Sandy West and Jackie Fox were all teenagers when they began playing in the early 1970s. Unfortunately, the self-proclaimed "Queens of Noise" stayed together a few short years before their breakup in 1979.
- Vixen Vixen is an all-female rock band formed in 1980 with members Jan Kuehnemund, Jenna Sanz-Agero, Lynn Louise Lowrey and Kat Kraft. Making their debut in Los Angeles, Vixen was one of the most successful female bands producing hits like "Cryin'" and "Edge of a Broken Heart." The bandmates have played together on and off for over 30 years with their last reconnection in 2001.
- The Bangles Led by the beautiful Susanna Hoffs and with gal pals like Micki Steele (of The Runaways) and sisters Vicki and Debbi Peterson backing her, The Bangles were an instant success in rock music. They had several hit songs in the 80s including "Manic Monday" and "Walk Like an Egyptian." The band split in 1989, but reunited in 1999, still playing together in present day.
- L7 An all-girl punk rock band from Los Angeles, L7 played hard and heavy everywhere they went. Formed in 1985, they were dubbed the "Poster Girls of Grunge," a well-deserved nickname, for these ladies liked to create controversy. Band members included Donita Sparks, Suzi Gardner, Janis Tanaka and Demetra Plakas. This best female rock band split in 2001, never to reunite.
- Babes in Toyland From Minneapolis, Minnesota came the all-female punk rock band, Babes in Toyland. Main band members included Kat Bjelland, Lori Barbero and Maureen Herman. Between 1990 and 1995, Babes in Toyland recorded three albums, first with Twin Tone Records and then Reprise Records. Babes in Toyland played together from 1987 to 2001.
- 7 Year Bitch Hailing from Seattle, Washington during the impactful grunge era, 7 Year Bitch was an all-female punk rock band, playing together from 1990 to 1997. Their tale is a sad one in the fact they lost their lead guitarist Stefanie Sargent in 1992 to an overdose of heroin and alcohol. Seven Year Bitch produced three albums in their seven years together.
- The Donnas Initially forming in 1993 as The Electrocutes, female bandmates Brett Anderson, Allison Robertson and Maya Ford grew up in the Palo Alto area of California and loved the punk rock scene of the '90s. They didn't execute their hard rock sound until they made their first album as The Donnas in 1997. The Donnas are still presently together and making music.
- Sleater-Kinney Another grunge girl trio hailing from Olympia, Washington, Sleater-Kinney began recording together in 1994. During their twelve years together, they released seven albums, becoming one of the best female rock bands ever, says "Time" in 2001. Disbanding in 2006, they ultimately went out on a high note with another hit album "The Woods."
- Kittie This all-female rock band formed in 1996, coming to us from the great white north of London, Ontario. Still presently playing together, Kittie has a raw edge, playing alongside bands like Slipknot. One of their best recorded songs is "Funeral for Yesterday" off their 2007 album of the same name. The band consists of members (and sisters), Morgan and Mercedes Lander, Tara McLeod and Ivy Vujic.
- Civet An all-female punk rock band formed around 2000, Civet hails from Long Beach, California. Members include Liza Graves, Suzi Homewrecker, Jacqui Valentine and Roxie Darling. Upon signing with Hellcat Records, Civet released their first album "Hell Hath No Fury." They've been dubbed "the hottest all-girl rock band" by some. You can't disagree because they're hot, as is their sound.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.