There were many female singers that topped the charts over the years, and here are the 10 best female singers in 2008. They range from country to pop to rhythm and blues, but they were all considered the best in their genre.
- Alicia Keys’ album “As I Am” features Keys’ voice and piano music for which the artist is well known. This album features ballads that stir the heart, as well as songs that empower women. “Superwoman” and “The Thing About Love” were some of the well-known hits from this album. The album collaborates with several other artists and includes a single entitled “No One.”
- Taylor Swift released her second album in 2008 entitled “Fearless”, which earned her four Grammy awards. She sold over four million albums which made her the best-selling musician of the year in the U.S. Seven songs from this album hit the Billboard Hot 100 Hits.
- Leona Lewis, winner of the third season of Britain’s "X Factor", hit multi-platinum status in 2008. “Bleeding Love” was the most successful single from this album and was number one on Billboard’s Hot 100 for four weeks. She was nominated for three Grammys and four BRIT Awards, but won none. She did receive two awards from MOBO and was named Billboard’s Top New Artist.
- Rihanna won the 2008 AMA for Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist and Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist. Her third studio album “Good Girl Gone Bad” reached number two on Billboard 200, and featured five top ten hits, including three in the U.S., “Umbrella,” “Take a Bow,” and “Disturbia.” The album was nominated for nine Grammys.
- Carrie Underwood won ACM Top Female Vocalist and AMA Favorite Country Album for “Carnival Ride” in 2008. She also won the CMA award for Female Vocalist of the year and a Grammy for “Before He Cheats.” She was nominated for several other awards and also won a Teen Choice Award. Two of her popular songs that year were “Just a Dream” and “All American Girl.”
- Mariah Carey, always a favorite with music listeners, released her album “E=MC²”, which reached number one on Billboard. Her single “Touch My Body” also became number one on the singles chart. She has now had a total of eighteen number one singles. She and Nick Cannon were married in 2008.
- Jennifer Hudson’s self titled album was released in 2008. “Spotlight” was released and became her first top 40 hit. Because of the death of three family members “If This Isn’t Love” was not released until 2009. Her debut album “Jennifer Hudson” was released and went to number two on the Billboard 200. She received three nominations at the 2009 Grammy Awards.
- Jordin Sparks, winner of American Idol in 2007, was nominated for Best Female Video and Best New Artist at the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards. She won the AMA Favorite Artist in the Adult Contemporary Category. Her single “No Air” was released and reached number three on the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks. She went on the “Jesse and Jordin Live Tour” and “As I Am Tour” with Alicia Keys in 2008.
- Christina Aguilera’s album “Keeps Gettin’ Better: A Decade of Hits” was released in 2008 exclusively at Target. The album included her first three number one singles and several Spanish singles. The single “Keeps Getting’ Better” hit number seven on the Billboard’s Hot 100. Christina was one of Billboard’s Top 20 Artists of the Decade.
- Beyonce is the first person who earned the Demand International Entertainer of The Year Award. She was nominated and won several awards that year. She won the MTV Europe Music Award for Best Female and for her album “Ultimate Urban.” She also won the MTV Africa Music Awards for Best R & B album.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?