The 10 best female singers of 2009 included country, pop and country-pop stars, we well as a quirky older woman from England (and no, we don't mean Madonna, though she did earn a spot on this list). 2009 was actually a big year for the ladies of song, with sold-out tours, monster hit songs and huge-selling albums. For a look at 2009's 10 best female singers, here are some of the highlights.
- Beyonce. She started off the year performing at President Obama’s inauguration ceremonies and kept right on going with her “I Am…Tour" that took the bootylicious Beyonce to six continents. Her album "I Am…Sasha Fierce" mixed in pop ballads and dance tracks and the "Single Ladies" video (which was actually released in 2008) won MTV's Video of the Year and became one of the most viewed music videos ever online and sparked a slew of homages and parodies.
- Madonna. Sure, she’s edging into nostalgia act territory (weren’t the 80s, like, awhile ago?), but her gold-certified album "Hard Candy" and her record-breaking, 80-city world tour made it clear in 2009 that the Material Girl is still relevant, even if she’s not much like a virgin anymore. The "Sticky and Sweet" tour actually became one of the five biggest tours of all time, based on ticket sales.
- Lady Gaga. Yes, Madonna 2.0 burst on the scene in a big way in 2009, scoring two Number One hits with her first two undeniably catchy singles, "Just Dance" and "Poker Face." On the strength of those songs and a couple of releases later in the year, her debut album "The Fame" became the fifth best-selling album of the year.
- Katy Perry. Though she didn't release an album in 2009 ("One of the Boys" was released in 2008 and "Teenage Dream" in 2010), Perry launched her first headlining tour in 2009 and proved to be more than a one-hit wonder, but a credible performer onstage, too.
- Taylor Swift. Sadly for Taylor Swift, 2009 may be best remembered for talented but knuckle-headed Kanye West interrupting her acceptance speech at the MTV Video Awards, where she became the first country act to win a Best Video award. It was still quite a year for her, as her album "Fearless" and the tour of the same name dominated country music for much of the year. "Billboard" magazine named her Artist of the Year. "Love Story," one of the big hits from "Fearless" got a lot of play on pop radio and earned her a ton of new fans.
- Carrie Underwood. This country cutie also had a big year in 2009, scoring an Entertainer of the Year Award from the Country Music Association, along with hits like “Cowboy Casanova” from her third album, “Play On.” Like Swift, she clearly started making her crossover-to-pop move with the album.
- Rihanna. 2009 was a rough year in some ways for one of the decade's top female singers, as she became one of the most famous victims of domestic violence in some time at the hands of then boyfriend Chris Brown. But Rihanna rebounded nicely with her album "Rated R" which furthered her string of hits with "Russian Roulette" and "Rude Boy."
- Kelly Clarkson. 2009's "All I Ever Wanted," Clarkson's fourth album produced three Top 20 hits including the rockin' pop song, "My Life Would Suck Without You."
- Fergie. As the lone female voice in the Black Eyed Peas, Fergie helped make 2009's album "The E.N.D." one of the most popular of the year, yielding party staples like "Boom Boom Pow," "I Gotta Feeling" and "Rock That Body."
- Susan Boyle. Though she may not be your cup of tea, any list of the top 10 female singers of 2009 has to include the woman whose YouTube clip from her first performance on "Britain's Got Talent" became one of the most viewed clips in history. Dowdy and a little nervous onstage, her 2009 album "I Dreamed a Dream" nevertheless was the biggest-selling album of the year, selling more than 8 million copies in five weeks.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.