The 10 best film quotes of all time come from an array of drama, horror and romance movies from decades past. With characters such as Rhett Butler and John Merrick, this is a list comprised of some of the most popular and frequently-used quotes to make it out of the movies and into the public lexicon. Sit back and enjoy the show!
- "Stay gold, Ponyboy, stay gold" "The Outsiders" (1983). Johnny tells Ponyboy to “Stay gold” before he dies in the hospital after a fire, in which they save three kids. He says this because Ponyboy quotes the Robert Frost poem “ Nothing Gold Can Stay.” This is one of the best quotes of all time because of the intensity of the scene and the scene that follows.
- "I am Dracula. I bid you welcome." "Dracula" (1931). One of the first forays into the horror genre, Bela Lugosi introduces himself to his victims… er, guests. Dracula's quote is considered one of the best of all time due to its longevity.
- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." "Gone with the Wind" (1939). Rhett Butler says this very famous quote in one of the most popular movies ever made. This quote is still being used in movies to this day, assuring it a spot as one of the all time best film quotes.
- "They're coming to get you, Barbara." "Night of the Living Dead" (1968). While visiting their mother's grave, Barbara and her brother are accosted by a zombie. Her brother teases her and as she begs him to stop, he is attacked by the zombie and killed. This quote is still used in movies as a teaser.
- "Please, sir. I want some more." "Oliver!" (1968). Poor Oliver just wants seconds of dinner because he is hungry. He didn't know this would lead to quotes on Thanksgiving around the dinner table when someone asks for seconds. This endearing question is flattering for the cook, but annoying for the rest of the guests at the table.
- "Is it safe?" "Marathon Man" (1976). Cringe-worthy and unsettling, if you are in the dentist chair and they ask you “Is it safe,” run like the wind. Poor Dustin Hoffman, his misery yielded one of the best film quotes of all time.
- "Yo, Adrian!" "Rocky" (1976). The American hero Rocky Balboa fighting Apollo Creed, then his hated enemy, training, sacrificing, and then winning and yelling into the microphone, “Yo, Adrian!” as he is emotional and bloody will bring tears to your eyes. “Yo, Rocky!” take your position among the ten best film quotes of all time.
- "I am not an animal! I am a human being." "Elephant Man" (1980). John Merrick was hideous. Yes, he had a good heart and was generally a good person, but he had to sneak up on a glass of water just to drink it. Disease or no disease, you sir, were a human being and should have been treated like one. Here is your consolation prize: spot number eight on our list of the all time best film quotes.
- " I am your father." "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980). Vader tells Luke this in the movie's final confrontation. Luke basically learns the uncomfortable fact that he loved his sister way too much. Vader has a belly laugh at Luke's expense and we get to see another handful of "Star Wars" movies.
- "He-e-e-e-re's Johnnie!" "The Shining" (1980). Crazed Jack Nicholson chases his family with an axe, makes out with rotting corpses, is served by a bartender apparition and tries to write a novel in the confines of an all-too-real Stanley Hotel. “He-e-e-e-re's Johnnie!” indeed!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …