These 10 best first date gift ideas include simple, inexpensive items that are long on sentiment and short on cost. A first date gift is a nice way for the asker to present something to askee to thank her for taking time to get to know you. Sound weird? Think about it. A date is a time to explore like interests and if someone doesn't want to take the time to do so, you'll never know if you're a good match. A simple first date gift gives just the right impression of courtesy, but hopeful expectation. Buying something large and expensive is out of line until you're sure the date is a keeper.
- Single flower. Pick a colored flower for your mood. Red is for love. Yellow for friendship. White is for purity. You get the idea.
- Single cupcake. One boxed cupcake with interesting decorations is a fine best first date gift idea. Match the color of the cake to your mood. See color meanings under the flower section above.
- Small box of candy. Handmade chocolates or unusual sweets are a classic first date gift. If the date is sailing, pick up some salt water taffy. If you want to get lucky after dinner, try chocolate-covered strawberries.
- Small stuffed animal. This is only appropriate if you're sure your date is a stuffed animal kind of person.
- Appropriate toy. Get your mind out of the toy gutter. A first date toy is something small that reminds the date of the place you first met and asked for a date. If you meet the person online, a mini computer might be a gift. If you met at a bar and you both went out to look at the stars on the patio at the bar, a key ring with a small telescope might be fun. Don't get overly sentimental here; it looks too creepy. Keep it light.
- Bottle of wine. Select a nice bottle of wine for a first date gift idea. Bring some cheese or crackers if the date is a casual afternoon or evening around the house.
- Something for the ride. If the date requires a drive or a taxi ride and the weather is cold, then bring a small blanket. If it's hot, bring a cool drink for the drive. For a really long drive to someplace special, buy or make a snack box for the drive. If you're not creative, go to a caterer and have something made. Make sure the box has a napkin and eating utensils. You're going for class here.
- Photograph. This is actually something sent to the date after the actual event. During the date, take a few photos and have someone take a photo of both of you together. If the date went really well and you're sure your date is really into you, send a printed photo and a note saying how much fun you had. Don't ask for another date at the time, allow a bit of time to pass. You don't want to appear to be a stalker. Pick an image of the two of you together. A photo of you would be too egotistical, in case you didn't know.
- Small gift for your date's cat or dog. For an animal lover, the way to your date's heart is through their pet. Pick up a chew toy for a puppy or dog and a catnip toy for a kitten or cat.
- A poem. For the true romantic and someone who really is going all out for a hottie, a handwritten poem is just the thing for a first date gift. Don't get alarmed, you don't need to write a poem. Check out a poetry book or look online for a poem that suits your mood.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …