Sunrise, sunset, moonrise, or moonset—any time is fishing time when you view one of these 10 best fishing movies. Hollywood has produced several good fishermen films through the years, so it was hard to limit the list to just ten movies. This alphabetical catalog features the most popular fishing movies around, not to mention some of the greatest movies of all time. Most of the films are adapted from books, plays, or true-life events.
- "Diggers" (2007) This television movie is a coming-of-age tale about four friends growing up as clam diggers in Long Island, New York, during the late 1970s. The working-class friends face changing times as corporate fisheries invade The Hamptons, and their way of life gradually disappears.
- "Gone Fishin’" (1997) This comedy film stars Danny Glover and Joe Pesci as two clumsy fishing enthusiasts. The movie follows their humorous misadventures after winning a fishing trip to the Florida Everglades. "Even the fish are laughing" at this very funny flick.
- "Jaws" (1975) This modern classic movie features a scientist, a shark hunter, and a New England police chief in a showdown with a great white shark. Steven Spielberg directed this American thriller based on the best-selling Peter Benchley novel. Regarded as one of the greatest movies of all time, it is the original summer blockbuster—and sure to be on everyone’s list of best fish movies.
- "Moby Dick" (1956) This film adaptation of Herman Melville’s novel stars Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab, a man obsessed with seeking revenge on the huge whale that cost him his leg. As with most Gregory Peck films, this movie gets better each time you view it.
- "The Old Man and the Sea" (1990) Anthony Quinn stars in this television movie based on an Ernest Hemingway novella. Quinn is superb in the role of Santiago, an old fisherman whose quest for a bounty of fish becomes a life-or-death struggle with a hungry shark.
- "On Golden Pond" (1981) This American drama was adapted from a play with the same title. It focuses on Ethel and Norman Thayer (Katharine Hepburn and Henry Fonda), an aging couple who spend their summers on a lake called Golden Pond. One particular summer gives Norman a chance to come to terms with aging, marriage, and the simple pleasures of fishing on a peaceful pond.
- "The Perfect Storm" (2000) Anyone’s list of best fishing movies would be incomplete without this action-packed movie. George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg, and Diane Lane star in this movie based on Sebastian Junger’s non-fiction book. It offers a fictionalized speculation regarding the "Andrea Gail" and her crew of commercial fishermen during the North Atlantic "storm of the century" in the fall of 1991.
- "A River Runs Through It" (1992) Craig Sheffer and Brad Pitt star in this family movie directed and narrated by Robert Redford. It tells the story of two very different brothers, sons of a Presbyterian minister, living in rural Montana. Much of the film surrounds their love of fly-fishing for trout in Montana’s rivers. This coming-of-age tale, set in the early twentieth century, is a story for all generations.
- "The Shipping News" (2001) Kevin Spacey stars in this drama based E. Annie Proulx’s Pulitzer Prize winning novel. Spacey plays the role of Quoyle, a shipping columnist for a local newspaper owned by an eccentric fisherman. Quoyle’s new job in Newfoundland, his ancestral home, allows him to discover his family’s dark history, rebuild his life, learn some sea craft, and earn his self-respect.
- "Tortilla Flat" (1942) This comedy film, based on a John Steinbeck novel, is a fun fishing movie not to be missed—if you can locate a copy. It tells of two fishermen living off the California coast who fall in love with the same woman. Starring Spencer Tracy, John Garfield, and Hedy Lamar, this is a classic gem that the whole family can enjoy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…