10 Best Football Players Of All Time
The players on the list of the 10 best football players of all time are some of the most respected names in the game’s history. These players won championships, changed the game and left an indelible mark in the memory of football fans.
- Jim Brown – Brown was a running back who would have been successful in any era. Big for his time, fast for any time, Brown simply bowled over defenders for the Browns for 12,312 yards. Had he not retired in his prime, it’s likely he would have put the rushing record out of reach. He is widely regarded as one of the best football players of all time…if not THE best.
- Jerry Rice – Over twenty years for the 49ers, Rice put his name on every major receiving record there is, certainly becoming one of the best football players of all time. A graceful runner after the catch and with amazing hands, Rice forced defenses to double and triple team him. He finished with nearly 23,000 yards in receptions... the next closest receiver has just over 15,000.
- Joe Montana – Montana teamed up with Jerry Rice to operate one of the most explosive and efficient offenses the league ever saw. Montana truly made his mark in the post-season, where he was generally flawless, winning four Super Bowls as “Joe Cool.”
- Peyton Manning – Manning is one of the most remarkable NFL players of the early 21st-century, putting up amazing numbers with amazing consistency. He hasn’t had the post-season success that Colts fans would like, but game after game Manning is one of the most dominant players on the field.
- Barry Sanders – Sanders was the most stunning runner in league history in addition to being one of the ten best football players of all time. He was insanely elusive and had more eye-popping runs, while playing for the Lions, than any other runner to play the game. He averaged almost 100 yards a game for his career.
- Lawrence Taylor – Taylor created the position of the pass-rushing outside linebacker and forced offenses to find ways to block him. Given that he was one of the best football players ever, quarterbacks sighed a breath of relief when he retired from the Giants.
- Joe Greene – Greene—also known as “Mean" Joe Greene—lined up on the defensive line for the Steelers “Steel Curtain” defenses of the 1970’s and forced at least two players to block him. A man who changed the way the defensive line was played, Greene is certainly one of the best football players of all time.
- Otto Graham – Graham was a great quarterback before quarterbacks were considered essential. He led his Browns to the league championship game every season he played (four in the AAFC and six in the NFL) and was named all-pro nine times.
- Jack Lambert – Lambert played behind Greene for the Steelers and was perhaps the greatest middle linebacker to ever play and was certainly one of the best football players of all time. His fierce gaze and intense play made him the 1970’s most intimidating player.
- Dick “Night Train” Lane – Lane was a defensive back for the Lions and was a fiercely dominant player. Large for his size and very fast, he was adept at intercepting passes and could run down most receivers. He set an NFL record with fourteen interceptions his rookie year.
Posted on: Sep. 03, 2010