From 80 years of NFL history, we present the 10 best football teams ever assembled.
- 1985 Chicago Bears. Led by Walter Payton on offense and perhaps the greatest defense of all time, the Bears top our list of the best football teams ever assembled. After waltzing through the regular season to a 15-1 record, the “Monsters of the Midway” are even more dominant in the playoffs with back-to-back shutouts of the Giants and Rams and a 46-10 trouncing of the Patriots in Super Bowl XX.
- 1972 Miami Dolphins. Second on our list of the best football teams of all time is the only team in NFL history to go undefeated for an entire season. With Bob Griese bothered by injuries, the Dolphins turn to veteran Earl Morrall at quarterback for much of the season. But it is a powerful running game led by fullback Larry Csonka combined with a stingy defense that keeps Miami’s spotless record intact in Super Bowl VII.
- 1979 Pittsburgh Steelers. This Steelers team grabs their fourth Super Bowl in six years ranking them third on our list of the best football teams ever. Behind Terry Bradshaw’s arm, Franco Harris’ ground game, and the famed Steel Curtain defense, Pittsburgh outscores their opponents 416 to 262 en route to a 12-4 record.
- 2007 New England Patriots. Seconds away from joining the ’72 Dolphins as the only undefeated teams in NFL history, the Patriots lose Super Bowl XLII to the Giants after a miracle third down play keeps New York alive. Nevertheless, the Patriots, led by the passing game of Tom Brady, are number four on our list of the ten best football teams of all time.
- 1989 San Francisco 49ers. Joe Montana leads the 49ers to their fourth Super Bowl win of the ‘80s as they demolish the Denver Broncos 55-10. With two 1,000 yard receivers (Jerry Rice, John Taylor) and Roger Craig’s 1,000 yards rushing, they rank fifth on our list of the greatest football teams ever.
- 1991 Washington Redskins. They lead the league with 485 points while finishing 14-2 on their way to winning Super Bowl XXVI. Led by the passing game of quarterback Mark Ripien to Gary Clark and Art Monk, and a turnover differential of +18, the ’91 Redskins earn a spot on our list of the ten best football teams of all time.
- 1977 Dallas Cowboys. Hall of Famers Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsett head up a great offense paired with a defense featuring the pass rushing duo of Harvey Martin and Too Tall Jones. Going 14-2 and winning Super Bowl XII, the ’77 Cowboys rank seventh on our list of the best NFL teams ever.
- 1962 Green Bay Packers. The only pre-Super Bowl team on our list, the Packers dominated the ‘60s behind the coaching of Vince Lombardi, the arm of Bart Starr, and the defensive leadership of linebacker Ray Nitschke. Going 13-1 before beating the Giants in the NFL title game, the ’62 Packers rank as our eighth best team in football history.
- 1968 Baltimore Colts. Despite being upset by Joe Namath and the New York Jets in Super Bowl III, the ’68 Colts are ninth on our list of greatest football teams of all time. Playing for an injured Johnny Unitas, the ubiquitous Earl Morrall (see ’72 Dolphins) takes the Colts to a 13-1 record aided by a ferocious defense featuring huge DE Bubba Smith and LB Mike Curtis.
- 1999 St. Louis Rams. Closing out our list of the ten best football teams ever is a team earning the nickname “The Greatest Show on Turf.” Led by unknown gunslinger Kurt Warner and running back Marshall Faulk’s 1,000 yards both rushing and receiving, the Cardinals offense averages 32.9 points per game in a season culminating with a win in Super Bowl XXXIV.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …