One of the ten best "Forrest Gump" quotes, you already know the one about a box of chocolates. But there are plenty of other memorable lines in this movie. Some of these ten best "Forrest Gump" quotes you'll recall right away, and others may remind you why this is such a beloved film.
- "My momma always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna' get.'" It's a line Forrest repeats throughout the movie, but it sums up nicely the seemingly random nature of events and acquaintances that shape our lives.
- "Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks." Forrest sympathizes with his friend Jenny, who is hurling rocks at her abusive father's house and running out of ammunition to match her sadness and rage.
- "My name's Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump." Forrest responds to his new friend Bubba, who says his real name is Benjamin Buford Blue, but people just call him "Bubba."
- "You have to do the best with what God gave you." Mrs. Gump encourages young Forrest to the make the most of his life and not let any challenges hold him back.
- "Her dream had come true. She was a folk singer." Forrest recounts Jenny's life story, oblivious to the fact that Jenny was singing naked in a strip joint.
- "I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir." Forrest replies to Lt. Dan, who asked Forrest if he'd found Jesus yet in the VA Hospital.
- "Run, Forrest! Run." Young Jenny implores Forrest to get away from bullies at school, foreshadowing one of Gump's greatest gifts, the ability to run fast and far.
- "I'm not a smart man…but I know what love is." Forrest tries to convince Jenny he'd be a good husband, while revealing that he was wiser and understood truth better than anyone he had run across in his life.
- "Mama always said, dying was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't." Forrest stands over Jenny's grave telling her about their son and how much he misses her in a scene that will bring a tear to the eye, not matter how tough you are.
- "And that's all I have to say about that." Forrest uses this line a few times to sum up, as matter-of-factly as possible, some of the huge moments in his life, like the death of his mother and the fact that some soldiers come back from war with no legs and some don't come back at all.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.