10 Best French Open Champions
The 10 best French Open champions are the among some of the best tennis players in history. The French Open began in 1891 and was originally called Internationaux de France. Between 1915 to 1919 there was no tournament because of the war.
- Rafael Nadal. In 2010 Rafael Nadal won the Men's Singles again. Rafael Nadal has won the Men's Singles Championship at the French Open five times in six years. Rafael Nadal usually dominates the red clay courts at the French Open.
- Jim Courier. Jim Courier won 2 French Open titles. Although he won two titles at the French Open he was criticized for his playing performance. Some sets he would dominate and other matches he would look like a freshman college player.
- Bjorn Borg. Bjorn Borg was a killer on the tennis court. Bjorn Borg won four consecutive Frecn Open singles championships. Bjorn Borg won a total of six French Open Singles championships. Bjorn Borg was one of the greatest tennis players of all time because he won both Wimbledon and the French Open in the same year for three consecutive years.
- Gustavo Kuerten. Gustavo Kuerten won the French Open three times within a four year period. He consistently displayed his tennis abilities regardless of the tournament setting or court type.
- Rene Lacoste. Rene Lacoste won multiple French Opens. He won French Opens on grass as well as clay. Rene Lacoste is one of the early pioneers in Tennis and he tended to totally dominate most of his opponents.
- Chris Evert. Chris Evert won seven championship titles at the French Open. She is one of the greatest tennis players of all time. Her total singles win-loss record during her career was .900 making her one of the 10 best French Open Champions.
- Steffi Graf. Graf won six French Open Championships. There is no disputing that Steffi Graf is one of the greatest tennis players of all time. You can even compare her career to the men and she will still rank as one of the top tennis players of all time.
- Helen Wills. Helen Will won four French Single championships. When Helen wills was healthy there was very few people who could play with her on the tennis courts.
- Serena Williams. Serena Williams has won a singles French Open championship as well as multiple doubles. Serena and her sister Venus are two of the 10 best French Open champions.
- Venus Williams. Venus Williams is as dominant on the court as her sister Serena. Venus and Serena Williams have paired up to win multiple doubles championships including twelve in a row at the French Open.
Posted on: Oct. 09, 2010