These ten best French Open winners include some of the greatest names in tennis history. The event, also known as Roland Garros, has presented some of the best tennis action, male and female, of any of the Grand Slam events.
- Chris Evert – Chris Evert holds the record for French Open victories with seven titles. She owns the record for best winning percentage in pro tennis history with .900. From 1974 to 1986, she won at least one Grand Slam title every year. To go with her seven French Open titles, she won six US Opens, three Wimbledon and two Australian Opens. Evert was the first person in pro tennis to win 1,000 matches.
- Bjorn Borg – Bjorn Borg holds the record as the all-time French Open winner with six crowns. At the age of 18, he became the youngest French Open winner at that time. He won the title again in 1975, 1978, 1979, 1980 and 1981. He added five Wimbledon singles titles to his record as well as seven Davis Cup victories. He retired at the age of 26 with 62 singles titles and four doubles titles.
- Rafael Nadal – Rafael Nadal won the French Open five times in six years as of 2010. He defeated his nemesis, Roger Federer, in three of the finals. At the age of 24 years old, Nadal only needs one more French Open title to tie the record of six held by Bjorn Borg.
- Steffi Graf – Steffi Graf won a gold medal in the Olympics at the age of fourteen. By the time she was seventeen, she defeated Martina Navratilova in the 1987 French Open for her first Grand Slam title. In 1988, she became only the fifth player overall to win the French Open, US Open, Australian Open and Wimbledon in the same year. She also won her second Olympic gold medal in 1988. She won six French Opens in her career, playing in a record nine finals.
- Ivan Lendl – Ivan Lendl is a three-time French Open winner. Down two sets in 1984, Lendl fought back to defeat John McEnroe to win the first singles title of his career. He went on to win the French Open in 1986 and 1987 while adding five other major championships to his resume along the way.
- Monica Seles – Monica Seles is a three-time French Open winner. She holds nine Grand Slam titles. Seles won the French Open in 1990, becoming the youngest female to win the event at the age of sixteen. She followed up with wins in 1991 and 1992. In 1993, she was the victim of a stabbing by a fanatical fan. She missed almost three years before making her return to the sport.
- Martina Navratilova – Martina Navratilova holds more singles titles than any player in pro tennis history, male or female, with 167. She won at least one event every year for 21 seasons. She defeated Chris Evert 43 times, Billie Jean King nine times, Steffi Graf nine times and Monica Seles seven times. She won two French Opens in her career (1982, 1984).
- Justine Henin – Henin made her career debut in 1999 and lost to Lindsay Davenport in her French Open debut. She reached No. 1 in 2003, winning both the French Open and US Open. She then won three straight French Open titles in 2005, 2006 and 2007, only the second player to win three in a row.
- Mats Wilander – Mats Wilander is a three-time French Open winner. After Bjorn Borg retired, Wilander stepped up and followed in Borg’s footsteps, breaking his record as the youngest French Open winner at the age of seventeen. It marked the first singles title for Wilander, who won seven over a seven-year stretch from 1982 to 1988. His last French Open title came in 1988 when he won six victories in fifteen tournaments.
- Gustavo Kuerten – Gustavo Kuerten is a three-time French Open winner. In 1997, he became the first Brazilian to win by defeating three former champions along the way. In 2000, he became the first South American to finish No. 1 in the history of the ATP Rankings by defeating Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.