10 Best French Songs 2008
The majority of the songs from previous year are no longer played, but the 10 best French songs of 2008 are still requested on classic radio stations all over France. You will even be able to hear some of these songs played in other countries! French recording artists surely have secured their place on the charts.
- "Kim and Jesse" performed by M83 This song is described as dreamy, shoe gazing, atmospheric. The chorus is sung by Anthony Gonzalez in a swirl of keyboards and makes song one of the best of 2008. What's interesting is the reduced use of guitars in M83 songs.
- "20L07" performed by John & Jehn Just listening the humorous lyrics gives you a sense of the star-crossed lovers' tongue-in-cheek humor. In case you wonder what they scream at the end of the song, it's their names. Weird!
- "25" performed by Underground Railroad College alt-rock is spiced up by guitarist Marion on vocals. This song is described as twisted and beguiling. Most fans would describe the band as strange, but cool.
- "Do You Like Boys?" Performed by the Dodoz Every once in awhile, a good chorus can save an ordinary song. Lead singer Geraldine answers the question proposed in the song on a pink cartoon-style video while she performs on a blank stage. The cute video saves this song and puts it on the list of the best songs of 2008.
- "C’est La Vie" performed by Martin Solveig For once, Martin Solveig performs a non-irritating song that proves he actually knows a few dance steps. Though some have described him as having a chipmunk-like face, he manages some dance floor pop with a few photos to spice up the video. Somehow, he made it to the best songs of 2008.
- "Paris De Loin" performed by Poney Express The sound of escaping into the deep heart of the French countryside, cycling through sleepy villages and picnicking on bread, wine, cheese and ham. All that, conjured up by breathy vocals, a pulsing bass line, stiffly drumming and strumming strings makes this one of the best songs of 2008.
- "Il Avait Les Mots" performed by Sheryfa Luna This song's popularity and chart success makes it one of the best songs of 2008, French R&B-flavored pop produced little of enduring quality that year. The exception is this classy single that fused US soulfulness with cold French keyboards. The video is interesting: the plot development at 3 minutes 50 seconds was the singer’s actual condition at the time of filming.
- "Radio" performed by Apple Jelly It is the disco-pop cracker from the Alpine foothills that will have you pick up a Boney M. compilation sometime. Such is the terrifying power of this catchy floor filler that makes it one of the best songs of 2008.
- "All Around" performed by Tahiti 80 This indie-pop is radio friendly and popular to play during the traffic report, which makes it one of the best songs of 2008. There are many different versions of this all-time classic. Tahiti 80's take is different.
- "This is It" performed by Benjamin Diamond Some slick, romantic nightclub pop by a former UK chart-topper. He did not record a video, so you'll have to visit Mr. Diamond’s MySpace page in order to see the performance. Even without a video, this song makes it to the list of the best songs for 2008.