10 Best French Women Singers
Our list of the 10 best French women singers combines the classic with the contemporary to give you a good taste of the irresistible French sound. Whether you're new to French music or simply want to bone up on your expertise, we're sure you'll discover something new to adore here.
- Brigitte Bardot. The multi-talented blonde bombshell that gave us such hits as “Moi Je Joue” continues to ring in our ears and hearts after all these years.
- Edith Piaf. The legendary Edith Piaf is responsible for “La Vie en Rose” and numerous other classic tracks. With a voice like no other, she is one of the best French women singers that ever lived.
- Nana Mouskouri. Her classic tune “C’est Bon La Vie” alone positions her on many lists of the best French women singers of all time.
- Emilie Simon. Winner of a recent “Victoire de la Musique” for her lovely voice, Emilie Simon is one of the top French female singers combining graceful vocals with electronic music.
- Coeur de Pirate. At the 2009 Juno Music Awards, this Francophone singer was nominated for Album of the Year, shooting her up high on everyone’s list of the best French women singers active today.
- Emmanuelle Seigner. The wife of Roman Polanski, Emmanuelle Seigner is one of the few rock n’ roll artists to make it on to this list.
- Jeanne Cherhal. While she might not be the most famous singer on this list, she has toured with numerous bands and singers as a back-up vocalist, making Cherhal one the best French women singers on the international stage.
- Anais Crobe. Ever since her debut album, "The Cheap Show," came out in 2004, critics have been lauding her as one of the best French women singers of our era.
- Rose. The singer of the hit song “La Liste,” Rose is a talented French folk singer reminiscent of Janis Joplin. At the same time, she is very much rooted in the French chanson tradition. Did we mention that she's also hot?
- Chimene Badi. The near-winner of the reality TV show “Popstars,” Badi is nevertheless one of France’s most beloved recent singers. Ever since the release of her 2003 single, "Entre Nous," she has been electrifying the French language musical world with her electric stage presence and powerhouse vocal chords.