For any gas-conscious driver, these 10 best fuel economy trucks are a good blend between utility and responsibility. Whether you’re trying to save the whole environment or just a few bucks, trucks with good fuel economy are a precious commodity. They are cheap to own, and still offer the great function of a work truck. So if someone tells you that it’s impossible to both save on gas and haul the stuff you need to get things done, come back at them with this list of trucks. They have some of the best fuel economies on the market.
- The 2011 2WD Ford Ranger. For the 2011 model year, the Ford Ranger is far and away the winner in fuel economy among trucks. It gets 22 miles per gallon in the city, and a whopping 27 on the highway. You simply won’t be able to find any other truck that approaches 30 miles to the gallon.
- The 2011 2WD Toyota Tacoma. Surprising as it is, the Toyota brand renowned for its conservativeness couldn’t beat out Ford trucks in the fuel economy department. With a relatively small 2.7 liter engine, 21 gallon fuel tank, and manual transmission, the 2WD Tacoma is still about as light on gas consumption as they come. It gets an average of 21 miles per gallon in combined city and highway driving.
- The 2011 2WD Chevy Silverado Hybrid. Chevrolet went above and beyond with its new hybrid Silverado truck. The comparatively monstrous (to other economy trucks) 6.0 liter, 8 cylinder engine usually translates to terrible gas mileage. But the Silverado’s hybrid nature allows it to get an average of 21 miles per gallon on the road.
- The 2011 2WD Chevy Colorado. Usually, trucks get better fuel economy with a manual transmission. But Chevy’s Colorado pickup has pulled off an impressive 25 miles to the gallon on the highway and 18 in the city with its automatic version. It’s 2.9 liter, 4 cylinder engine is just enough for a bit of get-up-and-go.
- The 2011 4WD GMC Canyon. If you absolutely need a four wheel drive truck with decent fuel economy, the GMC Canyon is one of your best bets. It has an automatic four speed transmission and a small block 4 cylinder, so you will be able to rip through trails at an average of 20 miles per gallon in the Canyon.
- The 2011 2WD GMC Canyon Crew Cab. If you have a family that occasionally needs toting around, the most fuel economy friendly option is this truck. It has a somewhat odd 5 cylinder engine for added power, and gets a reasonable average of 19 miles per gallon. The Canyon Crew Cab has a nice tradeoff between space, economy, and power.
- The 2011 2WD Chevy Silverado C15 XFE. That added serial number on the truck’s name isn’t arbitrary. It indicates that the truck is Flex Fuel, meaning it runs on both gas and the cheaper E85. On gas, it gets an 18 mile per gallon average – pretty decent for an 8 cylinder.
- The 2011 4WD Honda Ridgeline. Honda cars usually top the list on fuel economy, but its trucks are a different story. At a mid range engine size of 6 cylinders, the truck gets an average of 17 miles per gallon. It’s reasonable, but far from the best.
- The 2011 2WD Dodge Ram 1500. Government statistics, oddly enough, indicate that both the 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder versions of this truck get roughly 16 miles to the gallon. For a full size truck, the Ram 1500’s fuel economy is certainly in the sensible range.
- The 2011 4WD GMC Sierra K15. Rounding out the list of trucks with the best fuel economy is this GM half-ton. At roughly 15 miles to the gallon, it has an 8 cylinder engine that runs off both E85 and gas, giving you the opportunity to mix and match cost to find the cheaper and more economical option.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)