10 Best Gangster Films
The 10 best gangster films combine the element of mob or gang life with a story line that keeps the viewer wanting more. This genre comes in and out of fashion in the Hollywood arena. Some movies, such as the best gangster films mentioned here are timeless classics, regardless of current trends.
- "The Godfather." The all time classic gangster movie staring Marlon Brando tops the list of the best gangster movies. The feature length film focuses on the Corleone family and their living just outside the law. The infamous opening wedding scene gives an overview of the common beliefs of gangster life.
- "Goodfellas." This Martin Scorsese movie is based in part on the biography of self-proclaimed gangster Henry Hill. Hill broke the gangster code and turned state's evidence against his partners in crime. The twists and turns and portraits of truth being stranger than fiction put this movie on the list of best ganster films.
- "The Godfather, Part II." Hailed by critics as the only sequel to equal the original, this movie is the continuing story of the Corleone family as the second generation takes control of the family business. The quality of the characters and story puts it on the list of best gangster films.
- "The Untouchables." Told from the other side of the story, "The Untouchables" recounts the story of Elliot Ness's quest to put gangster Al Capone out of business. The all star cast and enriched story put it on the list of best gangster movies.
- "Scarface." Al Pacino's crowning film, "Scarface" is the story of a gangster who chooses his own path. The movie makes the list of best gangster films for the overall action and character development.
- "Bonnie and Clyde." A complete classic. The story of the infamous 1920's outlaws includes an all star cast and tons of action. This movie makes the list of best gangster movies for its pure story flow.
- "Pulp Fiction." This story of two men who work for one odd gangster mixes science fiction and violence to make the list of best gangster movies.
- "Some Like it Hot." Possibly the funniest gangster movie ever, the story tells of two men running from the mob. The men dress as women and join Marilyn Monroe on a cruise to hilarity. This twisting movie makes the list of the best gangster films.
- "Public Enemies." This movie puts a life and a face on infamous gangster John Dillinger. The point of view presented in this movie puts it on the list of best gangster films.
- "Blow." A look into the life of a member of the Columbian drug cartel, "Blow" is the story of the modern gangster. The movie is based on a true story and makes the list of best gangster films in part for the performance of the lead character by Johnny Depp.