10 Best Gas Mileage Cars
Looking for the 10 best gas mileage cars? In these days, you may not want to be seen driving a gas-guzzler. The following cars are what "Forbes" calls "gas sippers." They are either hybrids or cars that just get great gas mileage. They are listed in no particular order.
- Honda Fit. The Honda Fit ranks second on the "U.S. News & World Report" list of affordable small cars. It is best known for the "magic seat," which allows for three separate storage modes (tall, long, utility). The Fit also features ten cup-holders and speed-sensitive volume control. The Honda Fit gets 27 mpg (city driving) and starts at approximately $14,900.
- Toyota Yaris. The Yaris costs only $6,881 to fuel for five years. This high mileage car gets up to 36 miles per gallon. Reviewers even say that it is fun to drive. If you are a very big person, this is probably not the best gas mileage car for you. It might present some difficulty getting in and out of, and it is also ugly. The Yaris starts at $12,600.
- Toyota Prius. The Prius is probably the most popular high mileage car. The Prius is one of the best cars for gas mileage, getting approximately 50 mpg, but it doesn't sacrifice space. The Prius starts at $22,800.
- Lexus HS250h. If you want a luxury car but still want to maintain your concern for the environment (or just save money on gas), the Lexus HS250h may be the best car for you. This vehicle gets 35 mpg and is the first luxury car to seek fuel efficiency options. It starts at $33,600.
- Honda Insight. The Honda Insight is a high gas mileage car modeled after the Prius, but available at a lower price. This sedan starts at $19,800. The Insight is less roomy than the Prius and gets approximately 42 mpg.
- Honda Civic GX. This compact, four-door Honda features a "SOHC-i-VTEC" engine which runs on natural gas with almost zero emissions and is the least expensive to fuel on this list. The Civic GX gets 24 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway. It costs $25,340.
- Ford Escape SUV. If you must get an SUV, the gas mileage on this car might surprise you. The Ford Escape starts at $21,000. This compact SUV gets 22 to 28 mpg. The Ford Escape still uses the old body model, but now it has updated features such as a self-parking system and a programmable vehicle key that parents can use to set limits for their teen drivers. It costs approximately $6,712 to fuel the Ford Escape SUV for five years.
- Volkswagen Golf TDI. This diesel-powered, high gas mileage car gets 30 to 42 mpg (depending on if you are driving on the highway or in the city). The four-door Golf has a turbo-diesel engine. It costs approximately $22,354.
- Volkswagon Jetta TDI. The Jetta TDI runs on low sulfur diesel. This diesel reduces emissions to almost nothing. The turbo-charged Jetta is a great option if you want a car with great mileage. It gets 30 city mpg and 42 highway mpg, and costs approximately $23,000.
- Mercury Milan Hybrid. The Milan hybrid has efficient gas mileage, at 42 mpg, and starts at $27,545. This car features a four-cylinder engine, and reviewers say it doesn't feel like you are driving a hybrid. There are also many electronics options for the cabin.