10 Best Gay Hollywood Actors
If you're interested in finding out who the 10 best gay Hollywood actors are, you've come to the right place. Some actors feel that having come out (or being outed) has hurt their careers, while others accept it and go with the flow. In fact, some of the best gay Hollywood actors might even surprise you. Did you know these famous actors are gay?
- Neil Patrick Harris: Best known for his starring roles in "Doogie Howser, M.D." and as Barney on "How I Met Your Mother," Neil Patrick Harris and his partner, David Burtka (also an actor) are expecting twins, this fall (via surrogate mother). Not only is Neil one of the 10 best gay Hollywood actors, he's soon to be one of the best gay Hollywood dads!
- Rupert Everett: Rupert Everett came out as one of the best gay Hollywood actors, though he recently told "The Observer" that he wished he had never done so and urges younger gay actors not to do so. Everett has recently turned to writing, though he still appears in occasional films.
- Richard Chamberlain: One of the oldest on our list of best gay Hollywood actors, Richard Chamberlain was outed by the French magazine "Nous Deux," in 1989. He didn't officially come out until 2003, when it was revealed in his autobiography, "Shattered Love."
- Guillermo Diaz: In contrast, Guillermo Diaz is a relatively new face to the Hollywood scene. One of a few openly gay Hollywood actors, he has held different roles in nearly 20 movies but has also appeared on TV shows like "ER," Showtime's "Weeds," and "Mercy."
- T.R. Knight: Best known for his role as Dr. George O'Malley on ABC's "Grey's Anatomy," T.R. Knight was outed following an outburst from fellow co-star, Isaiah Washington. Knight later said, "I hope the fact that I'm gay isn't the most interesting part of me." Knight is not only one of the best gay Hollywood actors, he's also a very talented Broadway star.
- Chad Allen: Famous for his role of Matthew Cooper in "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman," Chad has experienced quite a bit of backlash following his 1996 outing by "The Globe" tabloid. Nevertheless, he continues to act and is still considered one of the best gay Hollywood actors around.
- Sir Ian McKellen: Playing the role of Magneto in the "X-Men" films and powerful wizard, Gandalf, in the "Lord of the Rings" movies, Sir Ian McKellen is not only one of the best gay Hollywood actors, he's also a spokesman for Stonewall, a UK-based LGBT rights group.
- John Barrowman: Still a new actor on the Hollywood scene, John Barrowman has become a prominent actor in the UK, where he has appeared as Captain Jack Harkness in "Doctor Who" and its spin-off, "Torchwood." Soon to be one of the best gay Hollywood actors, he's certainly one of the best abroad.
- Alan Cumming: One of the best gay Hollywood actors from abroad is Scottish-born Alan Cumming. While he originally outed himself as a bisexual, he has since joined in a civil partnership with long-time partner, Grant Shaffer. According to Alan, "The pendulum has obviously swung."
- Nathan Lane: Once describing himself as an "old-fashioned homosexual," Nathan joins the list of best gay Hollywood actors for his amazing performances in hit films like "The Birdcage" and "The Producers."