Who are the 10 best German movie stars today? Opinions vary, but the ten on our list are some of the most talented actors in Germany and around the world. While they are very familiar to German audiences, they have also appeared in successful Hollywood movies. Here, in order of popularity, are Germany’s most-loved movie stars.
- Udo Kier. Udo Kier, 56, is the most popular German movie star. He is known for his work in horror films and exploitation movies. The 1974 Andy Warhol film, “Blood for Drakula,” is one of Kier’s better-known vampire movies. He is known in the mainstream for his role as a NASA flight surgeon in the 1998 film, “Armageddon.”
- Thomas Kretschmann. Another German actor, Thomas Kretschmann, is another well-known German movie star. He has had roles in several successful American movies, such as the 2002 film, “The Pianist,” and the 2005 remake of “King Kong.” Before his acting career, Kretschmann, 48, trained to become an Olympic swimmer.
- Franka Potente. Franka Potente, 36, is the most famous German actress today. She appeared in a number of critically acclaimed German films before gaining Hollywood’s attention. Potente is best-known for her 1995 action thriller, “Run Lola Run,” and for her role opposite Matt Damon in the 2002 film, “The Bourne Identity.”
- Franziska Troegner. Franziska Troegner, 56, is one of Germany’s most famous movie stars. She has appeared in more than fifty films. One of Troegner’s better-known roles was Mrs. Gloop in the 2005 film, “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” starring Johnny Depp.
- Jurgen Prochnow. Jurgen Prochnow, 69, is a well-known in German and international films. Americans remember him from movies like “Dune” (1984), “The English Patient” (1996), and “The Da Vinci Code” (2006). Prochnow’s face carries a scar from a stunt accident while filming “Dune.”
- Diane Kruger. Diane Kruger, 34, is a former German fashion model and actress. Her most famous role was opposite Nicholas Cage in “National Treasure” (2004) and “National Treasure: Book of Secrets” (2007). Her current beau is Canadian actor, Joshua Jackson, and she has guest-starred on his television series, “Fringe.”
- Jana Pallaske. Another German movie star, Jana Pallaske, is an actress and singer. She has made appearances in several German movies and televison shows. Pallaske, 31, had a role in the 2009 Oscar-winning movie, “Inglorious Basterds,” starring Brad Pitt. She is a member of the German music group, Spitting Off Tall Buildings.
- Karoline Herfurth. Karoline Herfurth, 26, is one of the best young German movie stars today. She is best known in America for her appearance in the 2008 Oscar-winning film, “The Reader.” Prior to her international success, Herfurth worked in several independent German film and television shows.
- Jessica Schwartz. Jessica Schwartz, 33, is another famous German actress. She is known for her role in the 2006 film, “Perfume: the Story of a Murderer,” which also featured Karoline Herfurth. Prior to acting, Schwartz worked as a model and VJ for VIVA, a German music channel.
- Heike Makatsch. The last on our list of best German movie stars is Heike Makatsch, 39. Makatsch is an actress known for her television appearances. Her first movie, the 1996 film “Jailbirds,” earned her a Bavarian Film Award as most talented young actress. She has been romantically linked to English actor (and sixth James Bond), Daniel Craig.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.