Soccer has become increasingly popular all over the world, and this is a list of the 10 best girl soccer players of all time. There are many other up and coming girl soccer players that are hitting the scene each year, but these are already at the top of their game. They are listed in no particular order.
- Marta is a left-footed kicker who began with the Umea IK. She was declared Brazil’s best player at 2004 Olympics, top scorer at the Pam American Games in 2006, and FIFA’s Best Player in the World 2007-2008. She also won a Silver medal at the Olympics in 2008. She joined the LA Sol in 2009.
- Birgit Prinz was the all-time leading scorer for the Women’s World Cup in 2003 and 2007. She also tied for leading scorer and won Bronze medals at the Olympics in 2002, 2004, and 2008. She was German Player of the Year from 2001-2005. She was UEFA Women’s Championship five times and chosen FIFA Player of the Year from 2003-2005.
- Abby Wambach became a soccer player soccer at four. She won several awards while attending the University of Florida. She joined the Women’s National Team in 2001 and became Mia Hamm’s teammate. She was Female Athlete in 2003-2004 and in 2004 she helped US win the Olympic gold. Injured in 2008, she came back in 2009 to win her 100thgoal. She holds best goals per game ratio in US soccer.
- Mia Hamm, the world’s best all-around soccer player, started playing at age fifteen. During her seventeen years on the National Team she received two World Championships, two Olympic Gold medals, and numerous other awards. She is the all-time leading scorer, male or female, with 158 international goals, and was Female Athlete of the Year from 1994-1998.
- Cristiane of Brazil is one of the top forwards in the world. Christiane played for the German and Brazilian teams. She now plays for the Chicago Red Stars with Marta with whom she has a telepathic connection. She was top scorer in 2004 and Silver medalist at the 2004 and 2008 Olympics, runner up at 2007 World Cup, and gold medalist at the 2007 Pan- Am.
- Kristine Lilly started her career at sixteen. She was NCAA Champion from 1989-1992, played in three Olympics and won two golds and one silver. She was World Champion in 1991 and 1999, second all-time leading scorer in the US and world, and all-time leader in minutes played. She is a twenty year veteran of the National Team and holds the record for 349 caps.
- Kelly Smith began a soccer player at sixteen on the English National Team and is presently Captain. She was Women’s International Player in 2005 and a member of the Order of the British Empire in 2008. She helped her team get a place in the 2009 Euro Championship, and helped the Arsenal Ladies get the title in 2004-2005 and again in 2006-2007.
- Julie Foudy was co-captain of the Women’s National Team. She received an Olympic gold medal in 1996 and a silver in 1993. She was starter for the US in the 1995 FIFA World Championships in China and played every minute of the game. She was MVP three years at Stanford and NSCAA All American at Stanford four times. She won the 1991 American Soccer Player of the Year.
- Michelle Akers began playing on the US National Team at fifteen. She dominated the 1991 World Cup in China and earned a Golden Boot. In 1994, she was MVP of CONCACAF with Mia Hamm and second leading goal scorer. She was the first female to sign a shoe endorsement in 1991. In 1999, she was all-time leading scorer in the Women’s World Cup history and won the Bronze Ball.
- Joy Faucett retired from the US National Team in 2004. She was a founding member of WUSA. She won an Olympic gold in 1996, and played every minute of the games at the Olympics and the 1995 Women’s World Championship in Sweden. She was the first women’s soccer coach at UCLA in 1991, and Pac-10 coach in 1997.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.