10 Best Golf Holes In Australia
Golf is a skilled sport, which is best played at one of the 10 best golf holes in Australia. The design of these courses complements the beauty of Australia.
- Royal Melbourne. The Royal Melbourne course was designed by two designers, Alister Mackenzie and Alex Russell. The President’s Cup was held there in 1998 and will be there in 2011. The bunkers are extremely large in size.
- New South Wales. Another course designed my Alister Mackenzie in 1828 and then updated by Eric Apperly in 1937 and 1951, which makes it one of the best golf holes in Australia. The course has four par-threes and four par-fives. The par-three and par-fives run in opposite directions.
- Kingston Heath. This beauty is near Royal Melbourne and is a sandbelt course. The bunkers are enormous in size and look natural. The holes on the course are very characteristically designed.
- Ellerston. Designed by Greg Norman and Bob Harrison in 2001, this is the Packer family’s private golf course. The course is remote and is staffed by fifteen to eighteen people, which makes it one of the best golf holes in Australia. The course is up in the hills and you have to drive over half a mile to get to the first tee.
- Barnbougle Dunes. Tom Doak and Michael Clayton designed the course in 2004 so it is a relatively young course. It is a public golf course so it is fairly easy to attain tee time without an appointment, which makes it one of the best golf holes in Australia. The course runs along the Bass Strait and is windy and has natural dunes.
- Royal Adelaide. Another Alister Mackenzie designed course, built in 1926. Royal Adelaide has hosted the World Amateur Teams Championship. A railroad track runs between the first and second fairway.
- Metropolitan. The course is a sandbelt course and is regarded as being in the best state, which makes it one of the best golf holes in Australia. The fairways are said to make the carpet in your home look commonplace. The Metropolitan hosted a World Golf Championship in 2001.
- National. National is the only golf course in Australia that has 54 holes. The Moonah course is the best, which is named after the moonah trees that reside there. National is on the opposite side of Bass Strait from the Barnbougle Dunes course.
- The Australian. Home of the Australian Open in the 1970s, this golf course is one the best golf holes in Australia. Jack Nicklaus designed the course in 1976. The style is American with big bunkers and flat fairways.
- Royal Sydney. The course is a sandbelt course and resides in the suburbs. The bunkers are redesigned, which make it one of the best golf holes in Australia. You can hear traffic when you play because it is in the middle of suburbia.
Posted on: Apr. 18, 2010