Looking for some of the finest holes to play on a Golf Adventure in the United Kingdom? Here are 10 of the best golf holes in the UK that you can play. A lot of them are from courses in the British open rotation of courses, and a couple are even at the home of golf at St. Andrews, Scotland.
- No. 17, Old Course, St. Andrews. A devilish par-4, also known as "The Road Hole". You have to hit a blind drive over a wall of the St. Andrews hotel and hope you find the short grass. From there, it will be a mid-iron approach into a narrow green that is fronted by a hideously difficult bunker. Afterwards, enjoy your scenic stroll to the 18th tee and over the Swilkin Bridge on your way to the finish.
- No. 8, Old Course, Royal Troon. The little par-3 known as "The Postage Stamp." 123 yards of awesome, with plenty of trouble on the right.
- No 18, Carnoustie Golf Links, Championship Course. What a beast. Just ask Jean Van de Velde, who blew the British Open after making a triple-bogey there during the final round in 1999. It's called "Home", but not nearly as inviting.
- No. 5, Muirfield. A reachable par-five, but only if you avoid the minefield of bunkers all along both sides of the fairway. And then avoid the seven bunkers that surround the green. Good luck.
- No. 14, St. Andrews Old Course. Lots of players have a feeling of being in hell during a round, but you can literally find yourself there on this hole if you find the famous "Hell" bunker. Give the devil his due.
- No. 7, Gleneagles King's Course. Named "Kittle Kink" for its right-to-left dogleg, you hit a blind tee shot at a set of mounds that line the right side of the fairway, From there, the green opens up.
- No. 5, Gleneagles King's Course. Frightening little par-3 that measures 178-yards. Elevated tee into a platformed green surrounded by severe drop-offs and tall stuff. Watch our for the stiff headwinds.
- No. 3, Turnberry Ailsa Course. Called "Blaw Wearie", which means "out of breath." A 489-yard par-4 that usually plays into the wind.
- No. 17, Royal Birkdale. Plays firm and fast despite its 572-yard length, and a great chance for a birdie coming in during previous Open Championships. Padraig Harrington made eagle here in 2008 on his way to the title.
- No. 18, Royal Lytham and St. Annes. Very picturesque setting on this par-4. Excellent finishing hole.
This list is by no means complete. One would guess that there would be a multitude of differences in a list of the 10 best golf holes in the UK, but avid golfers will at least be familiar with some of these.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.