Looking for some of the finest holes to play on a Golf Adventure in the United Kingdom? Here are 10 of the best golf holes in the UK that you can play. A lot of them are from courses in the British open rotation of courses, and a couple are even at the home of golf at St. Andrews, Scotland.
- No. 17, Old Course, St. Andrews. A devilish par-4, also known as "The Road Hole". You have to hit a blind drive over a wall of the St. Andrews hotel and hope you find the short grass. From there, it will be a mid-iron approach into a narrow green that is fronted by a hideously difficult bunker. Afterwards, enjoy your scenic stroll to the 18th tee and over the Swilkin Bridge on your way to the finish.
- No. 8, Old Course, Royal Troon. The little par-3 known as "The Postage Stamp." 123 yards of awesome, with plenty of trouble on the right.
- No 18, Carnoustie Golf Links, Championship Course. What a beast. Just ask Jean Van de Velde, who blew the British Open after making a triple-bogey there during the final round in 1999. It's called "Home", but not nearly as inviting.
- No. 5, Muirfield. A reachable par-five, but only if you avoid the minefield of bunkers all along both sides of the fairway. And then avoid the seven bunkers that surround the green. Good luck.
- No. 14, St. Andrews Old Course. Lots of players have a feeling of being in hell during a round, but you can literally find yourself there on this hole if you find the famous "Hell" bunker. Give the devil his due.
- No. 7, Gleneagles King's Course. Named "Kittle Kink" for its right-to-left dogleg, you hit a blind tee shot at a set of mounds that line the right side of the fairway, From there, the green opens up.
- No. 5, Gleneagles King's Course. Frightening little par-3 that measures 178-yards. Elevated tee into a platformed green surrounded by severe drop-offs and tall stuff. Watch our for the stiff headwinds.
- No. 3, Turnberry Ailsa Course. Called "Blaw Wearie", which means "out of breath." A 489-yard par-4 that usually plays into the wind.
- No. 17, Royal Birkdale. Plays firm and fast despite its 572-yard length, and a great chance for a birdie coming in during previous Open Championships. Padraig Harrington made eagle here in 2008 on his way to the title.
- No. 18, Royal Lytham and St. Annes. Very picturesque setting on this par-4. Excellent finishing hole.
This list is by no means complete. One would guess that there would be a multitude of differences in a list of the 10 best golf holes in the UK, but avid golfers will at least be familiar with some of these.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.