10 Best Golf Resorts
Scattered throughout North America, you'll find the 10 best golf resorts, all with championship courses and luxury accommodations. Many of the best golf resorts are located within the United States, while others are in the countries of Canada and Mexico. Matching golf courses with beautiful resort locations is an ingenious idea, providing golf enthusiasts and their families a lovely way to enjoy some of the best resorts, and one of the world’s favorite sports.
- Pebble Beach Resort - The Inn at Spanish Bay. Home of the 2010 U.S. Open, The Inn at Spanish Bay reminds one of golfing near the moors of Scotland. Lengthened to over 7,000 yards, Spanish Bay is not only one of the ten best golf resorts, but an environmentally preserved one as well. You'll find areas of the course are home to native birds, plants and wildlife animals. The Inn at Spanish Bay, 2700 17-Mile Drive, Pebble Beach, CA 93953, 831-647-7500.
- Bandon Dunes Golf Resort. Another location reminiscent of authentic Scottish links, Bandon Dunes features four different courses built along the sand dunes. The newest course, Old McDonald, overlooks 23 miles of unspoiled coastline, as the playing course moves through the dunes to the water’s edge. Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, 57744 Round Lake Drive, Bandon, OR 97411, 888-345-6008.
- Fairmont Mayakoba. Golf enthusiasts will enjoy the Fairmont Mayakoba on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. Constructed next to the Caribbean Sea, the golf resort's 18-hole course runs along the Mexico beachfront, boasting spectacular views and cooling ocean breezes as you play the fairway. Fairmont Mayakoba Riviera Maya, Carretera Federal Cancún- Playa del Carmen Km. 298, Playa del Carmen, Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, Riviera Maya, Mexico 77710, 800-441-1414.
- Pinehurst. Home to the 2014 U.S. Open and Women's Open, Pinehurst initially opened its doors to the public in 1895. Experience Pinehurst's Southern hospitality, while enjoying the old-world charm of the resort's luxury suites, restaurants and spa center. Pinehurst Resort, 1 Carolina Vista Drive, Village of Pinehurst, NC 28374, 800-487-4653.
- The Fairmont Banff Springs. Known as "The Castle in the Rockies", the Fairmont Banff Springs features majestic architectural beauty similar to old-world Scottish castles. Opened over a century ago, this timeless resort is on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. The Fairmont Banff Springs, 405 Spray Avenue, Banff, Alberta, Canada T1L1J4, 866-540-4406.
- One and Only Palmilla. Travel to the One and Only Palmilla resort, situated on the Sea of Cortez coast, and your very own tropical beauty. With a palm tree-lined, par-72 course divided into three 9-hole fairways, this top ten resort is nothing short of paradise. One and Only Palmilla, Km 7.5 Carretera Transpeninsular, San Jose Del Cabo BCS, CP 23400 Mexico, 866-829-2977.
- Sea Island. Named one of the '50 Best Golf Resorts' in the world by "Golf Digest Index", this Georgia gem features a rare southern-style atmosphere, two championship 18-hole golf courses and elegant accommodations. Guests can choose to play the oceanside or plantation course, each with incredible landscape and views. Sea Island, 100 Salt Marsh Lane, St. Simons Island, GA 31522, 888-732-4752.
- Kiawah Island Golf Resort. With five golf courses, exceptional stay and play packages, and an island location near the sea, Kiawah Island offers endless possibilities. "Golf Digest" named their Ocean Golf Course #1 in South Carolina. In 2012, this ten best golf resort hosts the 94th PGA Championship. Kiawah Island Golf Resort, One Sanctuary Beach Drive, Kiawah Island, SC 29455, 800-654-2924.
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. Sitting on Hawaii's beautiful Kona-Kohala Coast, golf enthusiasts will find the Hualalai is an oasis-like experience, with fairways winding along the Big Island's beaches. This signature golf course, designed by Jack Nicklaus, combines all natural elements of Hawaii, including lush green grass set against dried molten lava beds that once flowed here. Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, 72-100 Kaupulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, 808-325-8000.
- The Greenbrier. Home to the 2011 PGA Tour, Greenbrier has hosted distinguished guests from all over the world. Originally constructed in 1778, this historical landmark features 4-championship golf courses, and 721 accommodations in the form of estate houses, suites and deluxe rooms. The Greenbrier, 300 W. Main Street, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986, 800-453-4858.