The 10 best independent films all have one thing in common; no big Hollywood studios. No Warren Brothers production teams, no Disney creators, no Universal Studios backing. These independent films were made regardless of a big name backing and all cashed in at the box office.
- "Mad Max". Originally called "The Road Warrior," this Australian creation introduced the world to Mel Gibson and became a cult classic. The original spawned big money sequels and makes the list of best independent films.
- "The Terminator". Few realize that this futuristic thriller was not backed by a large studio. With an unknown leading man and a floundering director, this movie managed to make the list of best independent film.
- "The Evil Dead". Rumored to have a total budget of $20,000 this movie's cult classic status puts it on the list of best independent films. When five friends go on vacation to a remote location, you know it's not going to have a happy ending.
- "Drug Store Cowboy". Starring Matt Dillon, this story takes a close look at the life of drug addicts and superstitions. The depth of the story and quality of the film place it on the list of best independent films.
- "Clerks". The introduction of Jay and Silent Bob to the world is reason enough to place this one on the list of best independent films. The story of a convenience store clerk, this dry situational comedy is a must see.
- "Donnie Darko". This psychological thriller left us wondering, was it a dream? As Donnie Darko goes through what appears to be a psychotic breakdown, the audience's attention is drawn further and further into his world. The twists and turns in the story line put this movie on the list of best independent films.
- "Reservoir Dogs". When Hollywood showed no interest in this Quentin Tarantino film, the director took it upon himself to create it. The lasting popularity of this film places it on the list of the best independent films.
- "Night of the Living Dead." The second horror film to make the list of best independent films, this black and white classic brought the fear of zombies to the public arena.
- "Mean Streets". In 1973, no one wanted to touch this Martin Scorsese script about a small time crook called Johnny Boy. Starring Robert De Niro and Harvey Keitel, this film makes the list of best independent films for its all star cast and excellent direction.
- "Lost in Translation." This independent film is the effort of Sofia Coppola, the daughter of infamous director Francis Ford Coppola. Starring Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson, this film makes the list of best independent films for the film's sheer effort and Coppola's personal approach to the piece.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …