Bollywood movies have become more and more popular, but do you know who the 10 best Indian film actresses are? These excellent performers come from different parts of the country, and the languages they speak range from Hindi, Telegu, and Tamil to English. Some of the following 10 best Indian film actresses are talented not only in acting, but are also global citizens who care about bigger social issues.
- Preity Zinta. Started off as a model, Preity Zinta is one of the best Indian film actresses who has a criminology degree under her belt. She won the Silver Hugo Award for Best Actress in 2008. She is also a freelance columnist for BBC News Online South Asia. She gained her fame playing a heroine in a romantic film called 'Veer-Zaara."
- Rani Mukherjee. As the winner of the Filmfare Best Support Actress Award in 1998, Mukherjee is undoubtedly one of the best Indian film actresses. In addition to acting, Mukerjee is also a trained Odissi dancer. Grew up in a film family, Mukherjee's first appearance on screen was in one of the films directed by her father. She won various acting awards with her performance in "Hum Tum" and "Yuva."
- Kajol. Popular in Hindi films, Kajol is considered as one of the best Indian film actresses for her performance in "Bekhudi" and "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai." Kajol has won the Filmfare Best Actress Award. Like Rani Mukherjee, Kajol came from a family with a reputable history in Indian cinema. She started acting when she was 17.
- Kareena Kapoor. A winner of multiple Filmfare Awards, Kareena Kapoor often appears in romantic comedies and melodramas in Hindi. In addition to her professional work, Kapoor's personal life is also often under the lime light. Kapoor's parents separated since her father refused to let Kapoor and her sister enter the show business. Her role as a lead female character in "Kurbaan" earned her critical acclaim.
- Nutan. Nutan is unarguably one of the best Indian film actresses as she won five Filmfare Best Actress Awards during her lifetime; so far, no one has yet to break that record. She passed away in 1991. She began her acting career when she was barely 14. Her debut was a film produced by her own mother called "Seema."
- Madhuri Dixit. Not only is Dixit one of the best Indian film actresses, she is also one of the most popular dancers. She has received more than ten nominations for the Filmfare Best Actress Award. Dixit was also awarded the fourth-highest citizen prize by the India government. She was the female lead in "Dil to Pagal Hai," the first India movie that was shot abroad in Germany. Dixit played a dancer in the film.
- Tabu. The winner of the National Film Award for Best Actress and Filmfare's Critic Award for Best Actress, Tabu is widely considered as one of the best Indian film actresses. She is famous for performing in low-budget artistic films. Her successful films include "Border," "Hu Tu Tu," and "The Namesake," a popular American movie in which she played an immigrant in the U.S.
- Shabana Azmi. The five times winner of the National Film Award for Best Actress, Shabana Azmi was invited to participate in the World Economic Forum in 2006 as she is an activist in fighting for AIDS patients and street children. Some of her notable films include "Nishant," "Junoon," and "Susman."
- Dimple Kapadia. Active on screen since 1984, Dimple Kapadia keeps the record as the youngest winner of the Filmfare Best Actress Award. She started acting when she was 16, and got married at the same year. After a brief retirement during her marriage, Kapadia returned to the big screen once her divorce was filed. She won her first Filmfare Best Actress Award in 1973 with her role in "Bobby."
- Sharmila Tagore. This oldest nominee of the Filmfare Best Actress Award is not only one of the best Indian film actresses, but is also an UNICEF Good Will Ambassador. She was only 14 years old when she began to act. She gained her fame after being the first Indian actress who wore a two-piece bikini on screen. Her first film was "The World of Apu."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Now Fat and Scruffy, Mark-Paul Gosselaar Tells Us All About ...
The man formerly known as Zack Morris is hairier, heftier and playing a Major League catcher in the new FOX show.