Whether you are curious of what the 10 best Indian movies are, or simply enjoy the rich color and music of Indian movies, you would not be disappointed by our selection. Read on to find out what what India has to offer to movie enthusiasts worldwide. You will be surprised that "Slumdog Millionaire" is not the only good movie about India.
- "Sholay" (1975). Considered the most popular Hindu movie, "Sholay" is undoubtedly one of the best Indian movies of all time. The film depicts the story of a former police officer who seeks violent revenge on a gang member who has brutally slaughtered his family members. This movie is packed with passion, action, and likable characters.
- "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge" (1995). This is arguably one of the best Indian movies with a top-notch soundtrack. The story rivets on a love story that challenges traditions. Like most Bollywood movies, you will not be disappointed by the happy ending between the protagonist and the heroine. It has set the standard for many Bollywood musicals.
- "Dil" (1990). With a documentary touch, this film portrays the life of a displaced villager who ventured into Bombay and eventually became a textile factory worker. This film is listed as one of the 10 best Indian movies as it genuinely depicts the life of Indians amidst urbanization.
- "Damini" (1993). Unlike the Bollywood movies you are familiar with, this film depicts grim injustice and flaws in the legal system through the heroine's eyes. The heroine witnesses a rape and attempts to overcome all the obstacles to help the victim reclaim justice.
- "Chalte Chalte" (2006). This is one of the best Indian movies in recent time. With a typical plot of boy-meets-girl, "Chalte Chalte" has charmed many with its rich music and dazzling dance. Although you may not be impressed by the story line, you will most definitely fall in love with the musical performances.
- "Chadni Bar" (2001). With three National Film Awards under its belt, "Chadni Bar" is undoubtedly one of the best Indian movies. Unlike most Bollywood movies that romanticize simple love relationships with music and dance, this film depicts the lives of those who live in the underworld of Mumbai.
- "Devdas" (2002). As one of the most expensive movies produced in Bollywood, "Devdas" will charm you not only with its attractive stars, but also its shimmering costumes and sophisticated music. The lead actor won a Filmfare Award for his performance in "Devdas."
- "Black" (2005). Widely regarded as one of the best Indian movies, "Black" is inspired by the life of Helen Keller. It depicts the life of a college graduate who is blind and deaf at the same time. It is inspiring and emotional at the same time.
- "Krrish" (2006). If you are a sci-fi fan, you are going to love "Krrish." This movie is a thriller about a man who produces a computer capable of predicting the future and how the ability is passed on to his son. Not only is "Krrish" one of the best Indian movies, it is also one of the highest-grossing films in Bollywood, both nationally and internationally.
- "Dor" (2006). A movie about love and betrayal, "Dor" intricately depicts the friendship and hardship between two women who tries to overcome all the hurdles in life to achieve happiness.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …