10 Best Indie Movies
The 10 best indie movies found mainstream popularity by having original storylines, and great acting. Indie movies bend typical formulas to film genres, especially romantic comedies which have realistic endings as opposed to big budgeted film happy endings. Quirky characters, and memorable plots are two things that make the ten best indie movies unique.
- "Fargo" Jerry becomes desperate for money, so he plans a kidnap heist for ransom and everything goes wrong. A pregnant police chief is determined to solve the three murders that happened in her jurisdiction. The 2005 Coen brothers black comedy movie gained a best picture nomination at the Oscars.
- "Little Miss Sunshine" Olive Hoover gets invited to participate in a beauty pageant, and her entire family comes along for the ride. The family road trips to the pageant in an old VW, and disasters occur. It is all about the family pulling together for the happiness of seven-year-old Olive, and her dream of winning the pageant. The indie movie is cute, and fun to watch despite the melancholy suicidal uncle.
- "Sideways" A failed writer and un-popular television actor take a road trip to California wine country. On their excursion both men experience a midlife crisis which causes them to re-evaluate themselves. The 2004 award winning indie movie has a great mix of comedy and drama.
- "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" The indie movie is about an ex-couple who go through an experimental medical process to erase memories of each other. Mid-procedure Joel realizes he wants to keep his memories of Clementine, and that he still loves her. The unique love story won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.
- "500 Days of Summer" The flashback indie movie is Tom reflecting on his relationship with Summer. He goes through over a year of memories they made together, trying to figure out what went wrong. There is no cookie-cutter ending to the romantic comedy, which makes it have a realistic spin to the story.
- "The Blair Witch Project" One of the best indie movies was created on an estimated $60,000 budget. The movie is about film students journey into the woods, and their journey trying to get out. The film is based on found footage of the hikers pieced together to tell their story. When the movie came out it seemed so realistic there was debate if it's a true documentary.
- "Pulp Fiction" It is a cult classic, and iconic movie starring John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, and Uma Thurman. The indie movie tells the story of of two hit men, and a mob boss' wife they are in charge of looking after. The comedic crime drama has quick witted dialog, as the story goes back and forth through time.
- "Brokeback Mountain" One of the ten best indie movies is about two men becoming romantically involved in 1963. A married Wyoming ranch hand and a married rodeo cowboy create a secret passionate affair while sheep herding. The 2005 controversial indie movie was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars.
- "Requiem For A Dream" The 2000 indie movie tells the story of four drug addicts downward spiral to rock bottom. Nothing is glamorized in the movie, and it shows how ugly addiction can get become. The characters portrayed are three heroin addicted friends, and one of their mothers who is addicted to television, and weight loss pills. One of the ten best indie movies because the raw brutality of people hooked on drugs is not censored.
- "The Evil Dead" One of the ten best indie movies is a cult classic zombie horror film. Five friends vacationing in the woods wind up fighting off supernatural forces that turn the teenagers into zombies. For a low budget film, "The Evil Dead" has some memorable special effects. "The Evil Dead" spawned two follow-up movies.