10 Best Indie Songs Of 2008
The 10 best indie songs of 2008 range from psychedelic dance tracks to gritty, Springsteen-influenced rock and roll; sixties revivalism to the sounds of the future. The best indie songs of 2008 provide something for all indie rock fans, whether they prefer their indie songs soft or loud.
- "Time to Pretend" by MGMT - Like the Flaming Lips and Prince mated, here is MGMT, the duo to top our list of the best indie songs of 2008. "Time to Pretend," from their debut album "Oracular Spectacular," is a fantastical epic that gets hips moving.
- "Never Stops" by Deerhunter - Washes of psychedelic guitar effects and lilting vocals mark the second song on our list of the best indie songs of 2008, from Deerhunter's "Microcastle." It leans on psych bands of the past while pointing ahead to a jagged, dark musical future.
- "The Grey Estates" by Wolf Parade - These indie rockers' anthem is a Specials-influenced, bouncy pop tune with some odd touches. Like many of the best indie songs of 2008, it sounds like it could be a hit on the radio in some alternate universe.
- "Credit River" by Constantines - A gritty, Springsteen-influenced rocker, "Credit River" tackles the world's economic collapse with slurred vocals and choppy guitars. These Ontario natives have the sound down.
- "Meet Me By the River's Edge" by the Gaslight Anthem - Jersey punk rockers go Boss on this heart-on-sleeve tune. It is definitely one of the best indie songs of 2008.
- "California Girls" by the Magnetic Fields - Wry lyrics and swirling, shoegaze guitars mark this effort from the smartypants indie poppers in the Magnetic Fields. It manages to sound dark and sunny at the same time.
- "Titus Andronicus" by Titus Andronicus - A sloppy Irish jig of a punk song from a bunch of New Jersey natives, this is easily one of the best indie songs of 2008. For anyone who likes rock and roll enthusiastically sloppy, this could be your anthem.
- "Standing Next to Me" by the Last Shadow Puppets - Like a sixties hit with modern production, this is a short but beautiful love song from a side project of the super-popular Arctic Monkeys. A heavy Scott Walker influence is present.
- "Mistakes" by Devastations - Berlin by way of Australia goths Devastations make the best Nick Cave song Nick Cave never wrote. It is easily one of the best indie songs of 2008.
- "Lights and Music" by Cut Copy - A New Order-influenced dance track closes out our list of the best indie songs of 2008. In a just world, it would be a huge radio hit.