10 Best iPhone Apps For Foodies
Curious about the 10 best iPhone apps for foodies? If you're content spending an afternoon watching the Food Network, if your coffee table is filled with the latest editions of “Bon Appétit,” if a trip to the farmers' market is your version of a convenience store and an evening out revolves around where you’ll stop for dinner, you may be a foodie—and we have the iPhone apps for you. Foodies who love to eat, study and prepare all things culinary should download these 10 best iPhone apps for foodies while they are still hot off the skillet.
- Urbanspoon. This iPhone app is the Magic Eight Ball of restaurant finding. Divided into three categories—neighborhood, food type and price—you decide what you have a taste for, where you want to go and how much your pockets can stand. Literally shake the iPhone, and the slot machine rows spin. Then voila, you know exactly where you want to eat tonight.
- Tips. Deciding how much tip to leave no longer needs to take the time needed to judge a “Top Chef” competition. With the Tips iPhone app, slide a little bar until the smiley face reaches the satisfaction, or disgust, you feel with your dining experience. Input the number of people at the table and the amount of the check. The tip is calculated and divided, and the tip dilemma is conquered.
- Cocktails. No more rum and coke for you. This little iPhone app is convenient and thorough. It gives a list of thousands of drinks searchable by the base alchohol or by type of flavor depending on what you want to sip on. Plus, each screen touch brings up an entertaining new drink card. Turn an uneventful wait at the bar into the perfect mix with Cocktails.
- Zagat To Go. More than an app, this foodie bible offer reviews from over 45 different city restaurant guides. With the offline sync feature, you can even find reviews when the internet connection is spotty. Synonymous with restaurant reviews, all self-respecting foodies should carry Zagat To Go faithfully in their iPhones.
- Locavore. The best, most flavorful dishes come from fresh, in season ingredients. Foodies learn what is being grown and sold nearby from their local farmers' market with this inspired iPhone app. Easily prepare a menu by finding out what foods are in season in the area before stopping by the markets. Locavore makes a commitment to eating locally easy and delicious.
- Big Oven. Never wonder what’s for dinner again with this popular, 170,000 recipe strong iPhone app. This app is an archive of ever-expanding family recipes. With the Leftover Wizard feature, input the items in your fridge and get a list of potential recipes choices. Big Oven even gives substitutions just in case you are a couple of ingredients short. Who said a foodie can’t be practical?
- Foursquare. This little app gives you a feel for the local hotspots. Follow along to find out what people say about each restaurant, like, “The sweet potato fries are the best!” Keep up with what’s hot and what’s not with this community-driven iPhone app.
- Weber on the Grill. Get fired up with over 250 classic Weber recipes and 40 recipes for ribs, sauces and marinades. There is a timer with this iPhone app so you know exactly when to take the food off the grill, and instructional videos so your next BBQ doesn’t go up in smoke.
- Fromage. Arguably the best pocket guide for cheeses made throughout the world, Fromage is a must have for every foodie. Grab a glass of wine and explore 750 cheeses with this artistically presented iPhone app.
Wine Ph.D. Speaking of wine, make intelligent wine selections with the Wine Ph.D. search database and tag pairing recommendations. The My Wines feature allows foodies to add their pairings and rating when they find the perfect food and wine marriage.