The 10 best Irish drinking song lyrics can be found in the following tunes. These wonderful songs are favorites at pubs and often the bands encourage the audiences to sing along. The 10 best Irish drinking songs have brought much laughter and many smiles to the folks who have enjoyed them in a variety of venues. These tunes are hits at Irish themed parties or can be enjoyed by sitting back, relaxing and listening to them on the CD player.
- “The Wild Rover.” This lovely song starts with the “Wild Rover” stating “he spent all his money on whiskey and beer”. As the tune continues we learn that the “Wild Rover” has reformed and made good for himself. The chorus continues the tale with, “No nay never no more, will I play the wild rover, no never no more”
- “Whiskey in a Jar.” This lively tune is about a highway robber who loves drinking and “roving.” The protagonist robs Captain Farrell and brings the loot home to his love Jenny. Jenny betrays the robber to Captain Farrell; this quick moving tune is great for sing-alongs.
- “Nancy Whiskey.” The song tells the story of a weaver who falls in love with Nancy; in this song Nancy is not a woman but whiskey. Our singer goes on to say he loved Nancy for “seven long years” and she had him “beguiled.” The tune ends with the singer vowing to return to weaving.
- “Seven Drunken Nights.” This is a hilarious Irish drinking song about a fellow that comes home drunk seven nights in a row and each night finds an odd thing in his house. Amongst the things he finds are a coat, pipe and boots belonging to another man. His wife is having an affair and each night he mentions the odd item to her. The chorus starts with the lyrics, “you’re drunk you silly old fool, still you cannot see” as the wife tells him his has mistaken the item in question.
- “Irish Drinking Song.” This Irish drinking song has been performed by Dropkick Murphys and other artists. The tune tells the tale of a drunk coming home at two in the morning and gets kicked out by his wife. The drunk is then off to Kelly’s Pub to drink, fight and look for a pretty girl.
- “The Black Velvet Band.” This song has several versions but they all tell the story of a young man led astray by a colleen he meets in a bar. He winds up getting into trouble and is sent to a penal colony in Australia. The tune is sung in a light, comical form.
- “McAlpine’s Fusiliers.” This ballad tells the story of a group of hard working men whose only leisure is drinking. McAlpine is a hard driving boss in what seems to be a dangerous industry. McAlpine’s men wash the sweat and blood down “with pints and quarts of beers. You get the sense they earned a few drinks.
- “Drink It Up Men.” The Dubliners and other artists have performed this tune; clearly the singer prefers a “good pint of stout” over other beverages. The pubs in Ireland close early so the song says, “Drink it up men it’s long past ten.” In the closing verse our singer states a preference for Guinness porter.
- “The Merry Ploughboy.” This young ploughboy decides he is tired of farming and is off to Dublin to join the IRA. He leaves behind his sweetheart Mary and vows to return and marry her when Ireland is free. This lively tune is sung in a lighthearted, upbeat mood.
- “The Orange and the Green.” “Oh it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen, my father he was orange and my mother she was green.” This lively song tells the tale of a young man whose dad is an Ulsterman and his mother is a Catholic from County Cork. It is a humorous tune spoofing the prejudices that have separated the people of Ireland.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …