The 10 best Irish soccer players are not all household names, but many of them will be in a few years. The Irish have a small population and no professional league of their own, but somehow the country continues to produce top soccer players.
- Shay Given (Man City) Shay is arguably the best shot stopper in the English League. He made his name under Dalglish at Newcastle and went on to become one of the best Irish goalkeepers of all time.
- Robbie Keane (Spurs) Robbie is the all time best Irish goal scorer, and he is still banging them in. He has played for some of the biggest clubs in Europe and is among the ten best strikers in the English league.
- Damien Duff (Fulham) Duff is a skillful winger whose career has been hampered by injury. Duff starred for Ireland at the 2002 World Cup and has been the shining star for the national team ever since. He is one of the ten best Irish players of all time.
- Shane Duffy (Everton) Duffy started out playing for Northern Ireland but sparked controversy when he switched to the Republic. A tackling defender at Everton, he is set to become of the Irish soccer stars of the next decade.
- Seamus Coleman (Everton) Coleman plays with Duffy at Everton but made his name on loan at Blackpool in 2010. The right back can play right wing and is one of the best Irish soccer players at creating goal scoring chances.
- Richard Dunne (Aston Villa) Dunne overcame some drinking problems in his younger days and is now Mr. Reliable for Aston Villa. Tall and strong, he uses his brain to make up for the pace he lacks but is Ireland's best defender.
- John O'Shea (Man Utd) Mr. Versatile, John O'Shea, burst onto the scene at a young age and has played several positions for club and country since. One of the best soccer players to come out of Man United in recent years, he is a stalwart for his country.
- Kevin Doyle (Wolves) Kevin is an old fashioned center forward in the mold of David Kelly or Tommy Coyne. He doesn't score a lot of goals, but he creates chances and is a tireless worker, making him one of the best Irish players of recent years.
- Aidan McGeady (Spartak Moscow) McGeady was a star at Celtic but fancied a change, so went 3,000 miles away to Moscow! He is not afraid of a challenge on the field or off the field and is a midfield star.
- Stephen Kelly (Fulham) Kelly took a while to make his mark but had a great year in 2009 under Roy Hodgson at Fulham. He is a no nonsense defender and is one of the best soccer players for Ireland of his generation.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …