Are you curious about knowing the 10 best Jay-Z "Black Album" quotes? If so, then this list will get you up to speed on the clever lyricism Jay-Z generated on "The Black Album."
- "Now all the teachers couldn't reach me and my momma couldn't beat me, Hard enough to match the pain of my pop not seeing me." This Jay-Z quote from "December 4th" on the "Black Album" illustrates his early struggle with authority and coping with not having his father in his life. These central themes inspire many Jay-Z songs – lighting the fire of conviction that burns within him.
- "And a drought could define a man when the well dries up, You learn the worth of water without work you thirst 'til you die – yup!" This "Black Album" quote, also from "December 4th", is Jay-Z's version of separating the men from the boys. He questions everyone's ability to survive when their back is suddenly against the wall.
- "And I'm back for more New York's ambassador, Prime Minister back to finish my business up." Jay-Z's quote from "What More Can I Say" proves that he was vying for his place as New York City diplomat way before making "Empire State", his more recent NYC anthem. Jay-Z takes a representative role for New York similar to Frank Sinatra did decades before him.
- "As fate would have it Jay's status appears, To be at an all-time high, perfect time to say goodbye." As they say, "quit while you're ahead" and Jay-Z uses this quote from "Encore" to show that he wants to end his career on top. But as we all know, his planned retirement after the "Black Album" didn't last long.
- "I ain't a New Jack nobody gon' Wesley, Snipe me it's less than likely, move back." In "Change Clothes" Jay-Z cites the gangster film "New Jack City" and makes a play on words with that film's star's name. This film also makes sense thematically on the "Black Album", being that it takes place during the early epidemic of the drug known as crack -mirroring the era of hustling that Jay-Z often mentions being familiar with.
- "You got to pardon Jay for selling out the Garden, In a day I'm like a young Marvin in his hey." In the song "Dirt Off Your Shoulders", Jay-Z compares his performing prowess to that of Marvin Gaye in his heyday. It doesn't sound unreasonable when you take into consideration his ability to pack a monster venue like Madison Square Garden.
- "Flyer than a piece of paper bearin my name, Got the hottest chick in the game wearin my chain." On "Public Service Announcement" an interesting selection from the "Black Album", Jay-Z takes the term "fly", a slang reference for being extravagant , and relates it to a printed flyer that promotes events. And that hottest chick that he refers to is clearly the beautiful superstar Beyonce Knowles.
- "And you can try to change but that's just the top layer, Man you was who you was 'fore you got here." Jay-Z makes this motivational quote from "Public Service Announcement" come off like common sense instead of preaching. This commitment to personal dignity and not compromising to impress everyone is a valuable trait.
- "Lord forgive him, he got them dark forces in him, But he also got a righteous cause for sinning." Jay-Z further acknowledges his difficult past on the "Black Album" with "Lucifer", admitting that he has made mistakes. But he also states that he had a bigger purpose than just "sinning" in vein.
- "Bet that stops all the grinning and the laughs, When you play the game of life and the win ain't in the bag." Jay-Z makes it known with this quote from "Justify My Thug" that you can't judge a person, especially if you have never had to walk in their shoes. Overcoming obstacles that have no positive guarantees to look forward to is definitely no laughing matter.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.