These 10 best Jay Z quotes are phrases to live by. Shawn Corey Carter, best known by his stage name Jay Z, is known as the most successful hip hop businessman of our generation. Born on December 4, 1969, Shawn grew up in the Marcy Houses project in Brooklyn, selling drugs to get by. Starting his professional music career in 1996, no major record company would give him a deal; so, a young Jay Z, along with several other rappers, formed Rock-a-Fella Records, which went on to become an astounding hit throughout the mainstream.
Jay is also known as "Hova", which is a play on J-Hova, or Jehovah. He has to have a pretty venerable nickname, given the fact that he was a peer of Notorious B.I.G., an incredibly successful entrepreneur, and Beyonce's baby daddy. Does he really need to do anything else to prove he's one of the best of all time? Check out some of these Jay Z quotes and become convinced:
- "I'd rather die enormous than live dormant." From "I Can Live," the "Reasonable Doubt" album. Perhaps this best sums up Jay Z's philosophy. After all, he has become the biggest hip hop mogul of his day, and still is getting bigger by the second.
- "I will not lose, for even in defeat, there's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens up for me." From "Blueprint 2," the "Blueprint 2" album. Of all the best Jay Z quotes, this sums up his can-do attitude in a single verse. Vamoose, as Jay Z would say.
- "How you get so fly? From not being afraid to fall out the sky." From "Beach Chair," the "Kingdom Come" album. If young Shawn had been afraid to become big, he would have never become as successful as he is now. Life is about risks sometimes, and that is something these Jay Z quotes communicate best.
- "I'm far from God, but I work god damn hard." From "Breathe Easy," the "Blueprint" album. True that. Jay Z did work hard as a mule to get where he is; and this (of all the Jay Z quotes to take home) will tell you just how to make your dreams a reality too.
- "Ain't nothin' wrong with the aim, just gotta change the target." From "American Dreamin'," the "American Gangsta" album. There isn't anything wrong with you, just what you may be aiming for. Think about it.
- "If ya'll can't already see I ain't worried about ya'll cause I'm already me." From "Already Home," the "Blueprint 3" album. Like the quote above, but a bit different. Being yourself is key to success, and this Jay Z quote states what is already coming from your heart: be you.
- "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business… man." From "Diamonds from Sierra Leone Remix," the "Late Registration" album. Of the best Jay Z quotes, this one tells us just what makes Jay Z himself: he's a business. Just by being who he is, Jay Z rakes in millions, just like a business, man.
- "Lord forgive me I never would've made it without sin." From "Free Mason," the "Teflon Don" album. You don't get where Shawn is by being a good person. A lot of money requires sin, and perhaps that is the inherent evil that lies inside the currency we love.
- "Middle finger to the law, n***a grippin' my b***s." From "Dirt off your Shoulder," the "Black Album" album. Sometimes you have to break the law, and Jay Z is well aware of that. Break the rules, do the right thing not only for yourself, but for others.
- "Remind yourself. Nobody built like you, you design yourself." From "A Dream," the "Blueprint 2" album. Thinking back on all of these Jay Z quotes, nothing describes destiny better.
The best Jay Z quotes are pretty impressive, no? Although Jay Z is an intelligent man, it may take another smart guy to decipher the hidden wisdom behind these quotes. Who knows, maybe you got it, because we understand 'em!
For more quotes from Hova, check out Killer Hip Hop's quick collection.