10 Best Kitchen Gadgets
The word "gadget" sometimes implies that something is frivolous and expensive, but if you like to cook, you'll use every one of the items on this ten best kitchen gadgets list over and over, and none of them break the bank.
- Onion chopper. Not only does this kitchen gadget eliminate the possibility of slicing off a finger, it also greatly reduces the chances that cooking with onions will lead to tears. You can pick one up for about $15.
- Garlic press. This little gadget minces garlic for you, and you don't even need to peel it first. You can find good stainless steel, dishwasher-safe models for around $15.
- Bread machine. Nothing is more welcoming than the aroma of fresh homemade bread, but nothing is more tedious than kneading it yourself. You can even set a bread machine so that it finishes baking just as you get home from work. Models range in price from $50 to over $200, depending on the size and features.
- Indoor grill. These kitchen gadgets are indispensable if you enjoy a good steak, whether you live in an apartment without a balcony or you just don't like the mess of an outdoor grill. Many models also cook both sides of the food at the same time, reducing cooking times. Prices start at about $35.
- Food processor. A good food processor can significantly reduce the prep time necessary for complicated recipes with a lot of ingredients. Myriad blade and settings options ensure your veggies are properly chopped and your sauces are perfectly mixed. Small models start at $40.
- Toaster oven. Toaster ovens are perfect for small jobs like reheating leftover pizza or putting a crust on dishes topped with cheese. Simple models start around $20.
- Marble pastry board. If you've ever wrestled with warm pastry dough, you understand the allure of a cool, dry, marble pastry board. Costing anywhere from $30 to $200, marble boards also make a beautiful aesthetic addition to any kitchen.
- Coffee grinder. Not only can you improve the quality of your coffee by grinding fresh beans in your coffee grinder, you can also use it to pulverize hard spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. You can find sturdy models for under $20.
- Rice cooker. This kitchen gadget guarantees perfect rice every time. A staple in modern Asian homes, prices start at about $15 for basic models.
- Slow Cooker. This is an essential item for any working parent. Just put the ingredients in before you leave for work, and by the time you get home, you have a healthy home-cooked meal. Basic models start at about $30.
Posted on: Sep. 11, 2010