Curious about the 10 best Kobe Bryant quotes? Kobe Bryant, arguably one of the best NBA players of all time, has given thousands of interviews during the past decade-plus of his career, and the following are the 10 best Kobe Bryant quotes, all of which are quite memorable for a variety of reasons. Maybe they're a bit self-serving, maybe they're too self-evident or maybe they're famous for foreshadowing things that happened later on in Kobe's life. For whatever reasons, here are 10 of Kobe Bryant's most unforgettable utterances.
- "I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant." Kobe made this proclamation in December 1997, early in his career, after saying that the ultimate challenge would be to guard Michael Jordan in a game. Little did he know the comparisons to Jordan would continue for years to come.
- "These young guys are playing checkers. I'm out there playing chess." This was actually a repeat of a quote his dad, Joe "Jellybean" Bryant, made in 2005 when he played for the American Basketball Association's Boston Frenzy. It sounded cooler coming from Kobe's mouth, even if it was borrowed, and is still one of the best Kobe Bryant quotes ever.
- "It doesn't matter to me what place I get traded to. If I was traded someplace—I'd play anywhere." This was Kobe's diplomatic yet somehow self-explanatory answer to a question in a 2004 interview just before the NBA All-Star game, when asked where he'd rather play, New York or Philadelphia.
- "The party's just getting started. This is where the fun starts." One wonders if Kobe was referring to his NBA career or that fateful night in the hotel room in Eagle, Colorado in 2003? Or maybe that was where the fun ended? Whatever he was talking about, it still makes for one of the best Kobe Bryant quotes.
- "The whole Michael thing does drive me nuts sometimes because people won't leave it alone. He's bald, I have hair. He's almost 40, I'm 22. Seriously though, I wish people would let it be and let me just be Kobe." This came from a 2001 interview with "Basketball Digest," where once again, Kobe was lamenting the comparison between himself and the great Michael Jordan and explaining their vast differences to the interviewer (just in case he couldn't figure it out for himself).
- "I was just letting the shots fly. You know, I don't leave any bullets in the chamber." One of Kobe's most famous quotes, this one has been purloined by others in all kinds of situations—not all of them athletic. Again, images of the 2003 Colorado incident come to mind.
- "Everything negative—pressure, challenges—is all an opportunity for me to rise." Maybe the most popular of all of Kobe's quotes, this one has been used to motive athletes of all ages, shapes and sizes. It's one of the most thoughtful, inspired Kobe Bryant quotes of all time.
- "You always have to be on edge. You always have to take every practice, every game, like it is your last." This is a fundamental truth for all players of all sports, and even in life—play each game and live each day like it may be your last. That's why it is one of the best Kobe Bryant quotes ever.
- "All the records would be nice but we're only concerned with playing the team that's on the court with us, not all those teams from history." Spoken by Kobe during the 2000 to 2001 season, this is a quote that's important for every team to remember, especially when in a highly competitive situation.
- "What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection." Conceited much, Kobe? At least he said he was chasing perfection, not that he had actually reached it—yet. Of course, once he says that, it will probably make the list of the 10 best Kobe Bryant quotes.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.