The 10 best Laker basketball players of all time include some of the best players in the sport. The Lakers started as the Detroit Gems in 1946, but the team moved to Minneapolis in 1947. The team's name comes from the Minnesota state name, "the Land of 10,0000 Lakes."
- Magic Johnson. Earvin "Magic" Johnson lead the league in assists for five seasons, holds the second greatest NBA records for assists, and helped the Dream Team to the NBA championship five seasons. Magic captured the league MVP three times and made the NBA All Star team twelve times. Magic is also a member of the NBA's 50 greatest players and the top of the 10 best Laker basketball players of all time.
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Playing as Lew Alcindor in the first few years, Abul-Jabbar moved from the Milwaukee Bucks to the Lakers for the 1976 season. "Kaaaarreeeem!" is the NBA's all time scorer and his Sky Hook held the Laker team record for 11 seasons in a row. Abdul-Jabbar was elected NBA MVP a total of six times, a record, played in 19 NBA All-Star Games and is also one of he NBA's 50 greatest players of all time.
- Jerry West. Player and then coach, West's retired number "44" hangs in Staple Center. West holds the fourth all-time scoring average record, second playoff scoring record and lead his team as the leading scorer in seven seasons. These facts, not to mention his membership on the NBA All-Star team ten times, put West on the 10 best Laker basketball players of all time list. West also was listed by the NBA as one of the leagues greatest players.
- Wilt Chamberlain. Center Wilt Chamberlain was part of the Lakers 1972 that won 33 straight wins, a record win streak for professional sports. His retired jersey, number 13, also hangs in Lakerville. Chamberlain played in 13 All-Star games and lead the league in scoring and rebounding during the same season five times. With all the stats, Chamberlain is not only one of the 10 best Lakers basketball players of all time, he's one of the NBA's greatest players, according to the NBA powers that be.
- Kobe Bryant. Like his attitude or not, Laker legend Kobe Bryant is headed for Laker fame as one of the ten best Laker basketball players of all time. Bryant's rise from high school to the big leagues was meteoric and included the highest scoring total ever by a high-school recruit in any game. Bryant's been an NBA All Star a number of times beginning in 1998.
- Shaquille O'Neal. The Shack Attack signed as a free agent with LA in 1996 and assisted the team in winning three consecutive championships.
- Elgin Baylor. Playing with the number 22, Baylor holds Laker records for most rebounds and played as an NBA All-Star eleven times. He was inducted into the NBA Hall of Fame in 1976, as well as earning a spot on the NBA greatest player ever list.
- Gail Goodrich. Goodrich holds Laker records for consecutive free throws and is among the franchise leader for point, assists, free throws and games played. In addition to standing as one of the best Laker basketball players of all time, Baylor played in four consecutive All Star Games as a Laker and was inducted in the NBA Hall of Fame in 1996. He passed the youngest player to score 14,000 point record in the 2004-05 season.
- James Worthy. Worthy retired from the Lakers in 1995 and his "42" jersey was also retired. Hall of Famer Worthy assisted three Laker teams to MBA Championships during the 1980s. He holds Laker records in steals, field goals and scoring. Worthy got the nod from the NBA as one of the 50 greatest to play the game and is also one of the 10 best Laker basketball players of all time.
- Bob McAdoo. Hall of Famer McAdoo played for the Lakers for five years until traded in 1986. He helped the team win NBA titles in 1982 and 1985.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.