Declarations of love are extremely common in music, so narrowing down the 10 best love declaring songs is harder than maintaining a relationship, maybe. Pop stars shout their love from the mountaintops (and the top of the charts) in these classic songs.
- “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.” If you’re going to write one of the best love declaring songs, there’ no better duo to trust the vocal duties to than Motown stars Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. This string-laden classic features love declaration on a grand scale, with lyrics like “Ain’t no river wide enough to keep me from getting to you.”
- “I Just Called To Say I Love You.” Stevie Wonder declares his love with one swift move: a phone call There’s no reason behind his declaration of love (“No New Year's Day to celebrate / No chocolate covered candy hearts to give away”), but he says it anyway, making this one of the best love declaring songs.
- “Cherish.” Romeo and Juliet, they never felt this way I bet,” sings Madonna in “Cherish.” It seems that even a Material Girl can declare her love for something other than money, making “Cherish” one of the best love declaring songs.
- “My Girl.” While it may be odd to hear an entire group of men singing about one woman, The Temptations’ “My Girl” is one of the most beautiful Motown singles, complete with a catchy riff and lyrics like “When it’s cold outside, I’ve got the month of May.”
- “I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You.” Elvis pretty much had his pick of any woman on the planet during his lifetime, so the fact that he “can’t help falling in love” with one means she must have been quite the catch. It’s one of the best love declaring songs by one of the best artists ever.
- “You Are So Beautiful.” Joe Cocker, possessor of one of the huskiest voices in rock music, every so often takes a break from vocal shredding and sings a pretty love song. The cheesy 80's ballad “Up Where We Belong” is one, and this song is another, its simple love declaring lyrics making it the song of choice at many wedding receptions.
- “Kiss From A Rose.” Don’t let the fact that this song appears on the “Batman Forever” soundtrack keep you from listening to it; it’s one of the best love declaring songs around. Seal sings “I might compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave,” declaring his love in a cryptic, but beautiful and original way.
- “Crazy In Love.” With its blaring horns and in-your-face beat, Beyonce’s “Crazy In Love” is one of the best love declaring songs. The former Destiny Child sings “Look at what you did to me / Tennis shoes, don’t even need to buy a new dress / if you ain’t there, ain’t nobody else to impress.” When she starts walking around in sweat pants, its time to propose.
- “Hopelessly Devoted To You.” Olivia Newton-John, playing the role of Australian transplant Sandy Olsson, sings one of the best love declaring songs in this song from “Grease.” Her boyfriend gave her the cold shoulder, but she’s still in love. It’s a pushover’s anthem, but classic nonetheless.
- “I Will Always Love You.” Sometimes love does not conquer all and relationships end. Luckily, singers like Whitney Houston are there to remind the world that love still goes on even after your significant other has thrown your clothes out the window. It’s one of the best love declaring songs, over-the-top and a display of Houston’s crazy vocal talent.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.