10 Best Love Rock Ballads
The 10 best love rock ballads have been released by rock bands that are known for a harder edge, not ballads. Each love rock ballad received commercial success. Some of the best love rock ballads rose to fame in the 80's but became successful again when the television shows "Glee" and "American Idol" created renditions of the ballads.
- "Something" by The Beatles. Written by George Harrison, this love rock ballad has more than 150 cover versions. One of the greatest rock bands of all times, The Beatles wrote many songs about love, but this is the best because Frank Sinatra called it "The greatest love song ever written."
- "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith. The band's biggest hit to date is also one of the best love rock ballads. It was featured in the popular movie "Armageddon", during a touching moment at the end.
- "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica. James Hatfield wrote the love rock ballad about missing his girlfriend. Hetfield was concerned about playing it to the band since it was about his girlfriend, and not a hard song. The orchestration in the ballad was arranged by Michael Kamen, who conducted the San Francisco Symphony orchestra.
- "Wait for You" by Atreyu. A piano and strings-laden love ballad by Atreyu, who sought out to write a love song. The band created the love song despite their hard image. The love rock ballad lyrics are about a guy who's in love with a girl he cannot stand to be without.
- "Faithfully" by Journey. In 1989, Jonathan Cain wrote this love rock ballad about being a married musician in love his wife. One of the best love rock ballads because it was performed during the first season finale of "Glee", which returned "Faithfully" to the Top 40 of the Hot 100 in 2009.
- "Keep On Loving You" by Reo Speedwagon. This love rock ballad is about lead singer Kevin Cronin's response to finding out his wife was cheating. In the song he says he'll keep loving her no matter what. REO Speedwagon was one of the first rock bands to score big with a power love ballad by it reaching #1 on the Billboard charts.
- "Alone" by Heart. Reaching #1 on the US Billboard charts, this love rock ballad was written about someone in love, yet they have not told their love interest yet. One of the best love rock ballads because in 2004 the 1987 song became popular again when Carrie Underwood performed it on "American Idol".
- "Is This Love?" by Whitesnake. Released in 1987 the lyrics are about a guy missing the girl he loves. It is one of the best power love rock ballads because it reached #2 on the US Billboard charts, even though the group was breaking up during it's release.
- "Beth" by Kiss. One of the best love rock ballads because it was not a typical Kiss sounding song, "Beth" was still one of their biggest hits. The Kiss love rock ballad is about how guitarist Stan Penridge's girlfriend that he loved was always lonely when he was on the road, and he felt bad, but he had to play shows.
- "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses. The rock ballad is about being able to give love time. The song questions if the girl needs time to think things over, and that it is okay to question love. One of the best love rock ballads because the 8:59 song is the longest ever Top Ten hit and contains the longest guitar solo in a Top Ten single.