These 10 best Mad Men quotes reflect a world of strong cocktails, cigarette smoke and men who take what they want. Don Draper and company at the Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Pryce advertising agency may live in the 1960s, but many of their words resonate today.
- “I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.” Don Draper Season 1, Episode 8 "The Hobo Code". This makes the best Mad Men quotes because it's a perfect summation of Draper's cynical attitude and the cynicism that pervades the Mad Men world.
- "If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation." Don Draper, Season 3, "Love Among the Ruins". How many people could take this best Mad Men quote as their advice for living? An example of why the show is so quotable.
- "I'm Peggy Olson and I want to smoke some marijuana." Peggy Olsen, Season 3, Episode 29, "My Old Kentucky Home". Uttered by the perfect coifed Peggy, this best Mad Men quote paints a hilarious picture of seemingly uptight people letting their hair down.
- "Look, I want to tell you something because you're very dear to me. And I hope you understand that it comes from the bottom of my damaged, damaged heart. You are the finest piece of ass I've ever had and I don't care who knows it. I am so glad that I got to roam those hillsides." Roger Sterling, Season 1, Episode 11, "Indian Summer". Roger utters this best Mad Men quote in the aftermath of his heart attack. It gives a clear picture of his priorities, and is vintage Roger.
- "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink, because it's what men do." Roger Sterling, Season 1, Episode 4 "New Amsterdam". The Mad Men world view in a nutshell – when men were men and women were pretty sex objects who knew their place. But even as he utters this best Mad Men quote, we get the idea that Roger sees his world changing.
- "Remember Don…when God closes a door, he opens a dress." Roger Sterling, Season 1, Episode 10, "Long Weekend". More of vintage Roger's political incorrectness in this best Mad Men quote. Another reason he's such a fun character to watch and listen to.
- “I like redheads. Their mouths are like a drop of strawberry jam in a glass of milk.” Roger Sterling, Season One, Episode 7, "Red in the Face". The man just has a way with words, as might be expected of an advertising scion.
- "I bet there were people walking around in the Bible complaining about kids today." Roger Sterling, Season 1, Episode 6, "Babylon". This best Mad Men quote is another example of Roger railing against changes he can't control.
- "I guess what I'm saying is at some point, we've all parked in the wrong garage." Roger Sterling, Season 1, Episode 7, "Red in the Face". Roger excuses infidelity. It all makes sense in his world.
- "I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." Don Draper, Season 1, Episode 1, "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes". More Drape fatalism in this best Mad Men quote. The man has depth, which is one reason we keep watching to learn more of his mystery.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.