To enjoy the 10 best “Mad Men” Season 1 quotes you must first get to know the characters from this Emmy award winning drama television show. “Mad Men” takes place in a 1960s advertisement agency, the rise and pitfalls of being an ad-man. In the center is Donald Draper, the industry's best creative director and quite the womanizer. Other prominent characters are Roger Sterling, one of the partners. Peggy Olsen, secretary turned copywriter. Joan Harris, the redheaded bodacious administrative assistant, and Betty Draper is Don’s beautiful but disturbed wife.
- "Advertising is based on happiness. We make the lie, we invent want." From Draper in the episode “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.” Sums up the crux of what ad-men do in this 10 best “Made Men” quotes from season one.
- "He may act like he wants a secretary, but most of the time they're looking for something between a mother and a waitress." From Harris in the episode “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.” Joan knows the ins and outs of what men want and her advice here to secretaries rings so true today.
- "When God closes a door, he opens a dress." From Sterling in the episode ‘Long Weekend.” Sterling loves cigarettes, drinking and women which makes this a favorite ten best “Mad Men” quote from season one among dudes.
- "As far as I’m concerned, as long as men look at me that way, I’m earning my keep." From Betty Draper in episode “Red in the Face.” Betty is blonde and beautiful and she knows full well she’s a trophy wife.
- "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent." From Draper in episode “The Hobo Code.” This 10 favorite “Mad Men” quote from season one depicts Don’s cynicism about life and yes, he’s really that cynical.
- "I don't think anyone wants to be one of a hundred colors in a box." From Olson in episode “Babylon.” Peggy symbolized that women want to feel special and unique, not just one of a herd.
- "When a man gets to a point in his life when his name's on the building, he can get an unnatural sense of entitlement." Roger’s quote from “Red In the Face.” He’s got power, he wants respect, and he’s earned it! You go Roger making this a ten best “Mad Men” quote from season one.
- "Go home, take a paper bag, cut some eyeholes out of it. Put it over your head, get undressed and look at yourself in the mirror.” From Joan in “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.” Joan is redheaded, straight-talking-to-your-face and when she says something, she means it.
- "I guess what I'm saying is at some point we've all parked in the wrong garage." From Roger in episode “Red in the Face.” Roger’s a womanizer who’s seen many garages and this honest statement hits out 10 best “Mad Men” quotes from season one.
- "I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." From Draper in episode “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.” Don smokes, drinks, screws his wife and other women and lives this statement to a T. Saved the best of the best 10 “Mad Men” quotes from season one for last.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.